Location for Freeze plug to Block heater Q | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Location for Freeze plug to Block heater Q

Peter Westling

Reaction score
City, State
Rosersberg, Sweden
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Hi all.
I got my 411359 blockheater from http://www.defa.com today (just info if you want to check the product out..)
I tried to find the blockheater that according to the install manual should be placed near the upper radiator hose, did not find it.
I tried to find it in the haynes manual... no success..
I browsed the forums, did only find others that has found the freeze plug but not the exact position on the block.

Could someone out there post a picture on where the block heater should be inserted or a pic on the freeze plug that I should remove?

Model is 94 XLT 4.0

Regards

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found it. Just some info if somebody else want to add a blockheater/Engine..
Remove passenger wheel and innersleeves and the airbox and you'll see the purposed freeze plug that should be removed. A small issue was that the heater didnt fit because of an bracket that holds the engine. I grinded the heaterbody down 5 mm on the right side and then it was no problems. Total time including refilling the system with antifreeze and water was 3 hours.

Consider yourself fortunate that you could see and get to the correct freeze plug that easily... I installed on on an Areostar van one that almost required me to pull the engine...

They are a life saver in cold climates though - I would NEVER be without one if I lived in the north. Had them on all my stuff when I lived in Wisconsin - saves tons of wear and tear on an engine when it dips down to -25F.

I read somewhere that from 51.8F or +11c and down it is economical to have one. Just let the heater run fo 30 -45 minutes in the morning and the money that you loose on eletricity you gain on gas instead. And then of course lifetime for the engine expands.

Usual temperatures here where I live is from nov-apr 41F to -4.

Hmmm do you have three rigs??? Amazing...;) How do you find time to work with them in progress...?

I actually have 5 rigs on my yard right now... I have 2 grown sons and we do a lot of work.

I am a pastor and work out of the home office - but sometimes some of my stuff needs to sit for a while between projects - like right now, the Ranger is parked - it needs a tranny (5 speed! - HELP!!!) - and the 97 has the tranny out as well - but I'm putting it back in this week. We replaced it last year and it blew the lining off the lock up clutch - causing the rest to go out from overheating. Warranty work at least.

In any case, it isn't working on all the stuff that is the problem - it is paying for insurance and registration... :D

The 97 my wife drives (it is our family car) - the 92 is my daily driver and trail machine - and the Ranger is pure toy - flop it whatever - it's just for the trails - though it is still very road worthy.

Back