install freeze plug | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

install freeze plug

jgilbs

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL(home)/Iowa City, IA(school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Eddie Bauer
install freeze plug heater

does anyone know how hard it is to install a freeze plug block heater? i really wantto get one due to the fact that i am a volly ff and i get calls at 2-3am in the middle of the night and i usually have to floor my car from a COLD start :eek:so i want to always have a warm engine. how hard is it to install one of these suckers? i have heard they "screw" in. is that true, or do they need to be hammered in (replacing the freeze plug last year was a PITA - i couldnt do it - i had to take it to a mechanic. is this an easy job? i want to do it myself because the part is cheap enough. also, does anyone know the wattage of the stock freeze plug? i want at least 300w and im not sure what stock is. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did one for a friend many moons ago.... My memory was that the old freeze plug was a bi*ch to get out.... the rest was easy. The plug used an expansion rubber donut and you wrenched it into place... the heater element was a coiled little thing and was on the inside and the outside had the cord... all in all pretty easy.... like I said that was MANY moons ago..and this is an aging mind.... too bad in my delirium brought on by too much beer over too many years that I cannot somehow imagine it being done in a warm garage with automotive calendar cuties milling about.... but.... I was on my back in a cold snowy driveway with a shoplight. Maybe that is why I remember.

I know that in Montana (where I am from, hence the name) my personal favorite was the tank style heater.. instant cabin heat..

can i have more than one block heater? i want to run 2 freeze plug heaters with an inline coolant heater (i dont pay the electric bill - my fraternity does :) ) will this work?

I suppose you could... so long as they were thermostatically controlled.... you might boil it otherwise.... probably overkill.... but to each his own.... I once heard of a guy in Alaska that had a headbolt heaater, a tank heater and oil heater and a battery blanket....

I know back in a time long ago when it got to be -20 for a stretch in Montana I also put a blanket over the engine... and a sign on the steering wheel to remind me to remove it. That was when I wished I had an oil pan heater....

well how quick does a single heater heat up an engine? i would normally only have one on. but if i were parked for any length without a source of ac, i would start the car, then turn on the inverter, powering both plugs and warming the engine quickly. in case you havent noticed, i have a lot of free time on my hands :D
thanks for your quick replies and happy xmas :)

my explorer came with a block heater but in the summer, i hide the cord. any ideas where it comes out? i've looked everywhere. It gets cold here in ontario (-25 to -40)

Ty
Student / Farmer

Hi everybody
I have an Explorer 2004 (Limited, 4WD, V8, 4.6L). It has the plug for the block heater in front. I live in Switzerland and it can get cold here too. However we have 220V here and I intend to install a transformer for 115V. Does anybody have some information on the block heater, or where I can get some information, such as power consumption (load in Ampere or Watt), Temperatures .... etc. In intend to start working on it right now, while the memory of the winter time is still fresh!
Ernesto from Switzerland

From what I've heard, block heaters are really only useful on a diesel. I do have one on mine (never used it) but it came stock. It's on the passenger front of the bumper. I just try to lay mine up on the bumper and hope it stays there so it wont be hanging down looking trashy.

-Drew

My best recollection was that they were either 1000 watt (10 AMP) or 1500 watt (15 amp).... it's been a while though but I do recall you could get them in two "flavors" so to speak. I'm not sure on resistive heating, but I think you could run them on 220V with a higher output...more knowledgeanble folks could chime in.... But for example my spa heater can run on 110 OR 220V, the element is fine for either... it's just resistive and the fluid prevents overheating.... if I'm right a smaller 110V wattage would be better for 220V.

Back