• Register Today It's free!

Location of EGR Valve

djk4013

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte, nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
Where is the EGR valve on a 2004 Ford Explorer? Is there a way to check this to see if it's my problem now?

My check engine soon light came on a few weeks ago, took to auto zone, had the code read, misfire on #5 plug so, replaced plugs, plug wires and coil. the light is out now and hasn't come back on but, truck is running rough at idle when it's cold, once it warms up, it runs smooth.

A friend told me it could be my EGR valve but, I'm not sure where it's located...

I just replaced my EGR valve, and spark plugs. What you are looking for is a round object that sits just behind the right side of the engine, and the air intake.

If you take a look at the engine's right side "exhaust manifold" - you will find a 10 -12 inch long metal copper tube that is bolted into the manifold, and runs straight up, and to the right.

This metal tube connects directly to the intake of the EGR valve!

Robert is correct on the location. I have a 2005 also. The EGR valve,solenoid and sensor are all one peice so you can't buy them seperate. Ford wants $160.00 for the unit. I am getting code P0401-EGR flow insuffecient.
I'm thinking about pulling mine and see if I can clean it and check the vacuum hoses to and from it. My explorer runs fine, just getting the annoying SES light.

Back