• Register Today It's free!

Location of Starter Relay

archer973

Reaction score
City, State
Mt. Vernon, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
I am new to this forum. I joined because I have been given the opportunity to revive a 98 Explorer XLT that has been sitting in a garage for several years. I cannot get the starter motor to crank and suspect either the starter relay--not the starter solenoid--or the anti-theft relay. I cannot locate the starter relay. I've read several posts that say it is mounted next to the battery on the fender wall, but those posts also indicate the battery is on the passenger side. The battery in this vehicle is on the driver side and there is not a starter relay next to it. There is a module for the ABS where the posts indicate the starter relay should be mounted. I've read a lot of the previous posts on this subject and cannot find one that gives the answer. I've also seen a lot of posts that are of no help because the one answering does not know the difference in the starter solenoid and starter relay, or they are just guessing. I'm looking for help from serious do-it-yourselfers, not DIY wannabes. I'm hoping you are out there and will come to the aid of another serious home mechanic who is not familiar with this vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pretty sure the relay is on the side of the under hood fuse box.

Never mind folks. I found the answer in a different forum.

kkjb4x4. Thanks for guessing, but it's not there.

Starting a new thread called "1998 Explorer XLT Resurrection" to detail the things I learn as I try to get this vehicle back on the road.

Never had to access it, but as far as I know, from 98 and on it's one of the plug-in relays inside the power distribution box under the hood (#5).
pretty sure the relay is on the side of the under hood fuse box.

1998Exp--You are correct about the location of the starter relay in the '98 Explorer.

Hi Turdle. As I said, I'm new to this forum. What is a "sticky?"

Thank you! I was wondering why those few threads were separated at the top of the subforum. :salute:

Back