Locked the keys in! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Locked the keys in!

Used to run a repo truck with my brother at night. Rangers/Explorers are easy to get into. Make your own slim jim or buy one or use a method described above. Kits are available as well, keep them at home though, I tried storing my kit in the truck. Bad idea. Call the police here and they'll say "uh sorry bub, ya on ya own" I wouldn't waste their time unless it truly is an emergency.

Most of the methods listed here are sound, though i would be careful of either using a slim jim (flat opening tool), or calling the police. Some police dept's will open them, but most will have you sign a waiver against any damage done to the vehicle. Most Ford's used what is known as a rigid cam on the back of the lock, which means that using a slim jim can do damage (usually breaking the plastic clip and detaching the connecting rod). Easiest way to open the fords is to pick the lock. Best idea is to call a Locksmith, sure it costs a few bucks, but its done professionally. Having said that I should probably mention that I've been a locksmith for the past 30 years so am probably a little biased.

Back