• Register Today It's free!

Locker Help

The Breeze

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clarita
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Sport Trac XLS
I have a 2004 Ford Sport Trac with the axle code 46 (3.73 gears and open differential). I am looking to install the Powertrax No Slip System. The problem is that there are two options for the cross shaft, either .75 or .875. Does anyone know what size, or how to find out what size cross shaft I have.
And also does anyone have any experience with these? I have searched here but get so many mixed reviews.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure what you mean by cross shaft, or what .75 or .875 are in reference to. Do you mean the clearance for the carrier pin?

Ford 8.8 axles came with 2 different size cross shafts. one .75" and one. Easy way is to pull the rear cover and measure the cross shaft that is in your carrier.

The cross shaft is the skinny rod in the center of the locker, I believe

http://www.powertrax.com/images2/explosion.jpg

Ford 8.8 axles came with 2 different size cross shafts. one .75" and one. Easy way is to pull the rear cover and measure the cross shaft that is in your carrier.

Is there no way of checking by vin or something. Either way I have to order the part and dont want to pop my diff cover off and have my truck down for the time it takes to order the locker, 5-7 days.

maybe www.fordparts.com will have the answer. you can search by VIN there.

I know the no-slip is good because it doesn't ratchet around turns, but if that's not the selling point for you, you might also consider the Spartan locker. You can get it from Rockauto.com for less than 300 shipped if you use the forum discount code.

I tried fordparts.com but it doesnt tell me the size. I am going to call ford on monday and see what they say. The reason I am going with the no-slip is because of its manners on the street. My truck is my daily driver but I do take it offroad almost every weekend and I have gotten stuck and didnt much like it, so I am fixing it :D

Oh ok, I thought that was called a carrier.

I have heard it called a few different things, but cross shaft is what 4wheelparts and richmond calls it.

So I was thinking, if I am replacing everything inside of the carrier, does it matter what size the shaft is? The locker will be designed to use its own cross shaft so whats the reason for the different sizes?

Thanks a ton!!! I always forget I have an account over there. I cant thank you enough. I called 4wheelparts, Ford, and Richmond and no one could tell me. They all said crack it open and measure it, which works but wasnt my go to choice.

Back