Loganfilm - How did the appointment with the Ford Tech go? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loganfilm - How did the appointment with the Ford Tech go?

Cory......I just sent you a PM listing my issues. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going back to the dealer in 7 minutes.

I hope you already know the way there ;)

Thats why hes waiting 7 minutes...for the nav to load the route :bsnicker:

In all seriousness though, I really hope the dealer gets their stuff together. I know what you mean about being a 12 year customer there and not wanting to really "express your feelings" so to speak, but like mentioned above, when they return it, I would say okay, hop in the passenger seat lets check this new fully functioning unit out.

Well.... Low and behold! I got the call yesterday that the new APIM was in and they could install it for me today. Dropped it off for a few hours and they called me with the good news.

The damn thing works!

(sort of)

All major functions now work. There is still major lag with entering addresses, though I couldn't even actually do that before. I made sure everything was "working" before I took off. Since then, it's rebooted (maintenance...ack) three times over several hours. Though, each time... it again works(ish). I can't get it to run a vehicle health report. That just churns and churns. I gave up three times after about 20 minutes each.

I hope the major root of my problems have been solved with the new APIM, but the system itself is shaky. Possibly closer related to what everyone else deals with? Hopefully its the bad common software that can be fixed. No rejected SD cards yet. That was constant before.

I'm really hoping that whatever new software upgrade that is in the works solves the rest of the problems. At least I don't have a black screen pumping hot air on me. Tomorrow will be the true test though, because I only just drove it around the neighborhood for about 15 miles and a few hours after getting it back today. Tomorrow, I'm driving all over Los Angeles all day. We'll see.

I do still have my RAM iPad suction cup window mount waiting in the back of the car... hoping not to get ANOTHER ticket for having it on my center dash if I have to whip it back out and use it for GPS again.

PS.. I felt so good about all this that I finally went to see my insurance guy and give him the VIN number and transfer the policy. I'm thinking positive. Thanks, everybody.

Loganfilm;
Great news!!
I too am waiting for the new and hopefully fantastic update to resolve minor inconveniences.
Let us know how it goes today.

Well.... Low and behold! I got the call yesterday that the new APIM was in and they could install it for me today. Dropped it off for a few hours and they called me with the good news.

The damn thing works!

(sort of)

All major functions now work. There is still major lag with entering addresses, though I couldn't even actually do that before. I made sure everything was "working" before I took off. Since then, it's rebooted (maintenance...ack) three times over several hours. Though, each time... it again works(ish). I can't get it to run a vehicle health report. That just churns and churns. I gave up three times after about 20 minutes each.

I hope the major root of my problems have been solved with the new APIM, but the system itself is shaky. Possibly closer related to what everyone else deals with? Hopefully its the bad common software that can be fixed. No rejected SD cards yet. That was constant before.

I'm really hoping that whatever new software upgrade that is in the works solves the rest of the problems. At least I don't have a black screen pumping hot air on me. Tomorrow will be the true test though, because I only just drove it around the neighborhood for about 15 miles and a few hours after getting it back today. Tomorrow, I'm driving all over Los Angeles all day. We'll see.

I do still have my RAM iPad suction cup window mount waiting in the back of the car... hoping not to get ANOTHER ticket for having it on my center dash if I have to whip it back out and use it for GPS again.

PS.. I felt so good about all this that I finally went to see my insurance guy and give him the VIN number and transfer the policy. I'm thinking positive. Thanks, everybody.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::chug::biggthump:party::bounce::D

Here's hoping it works well.

BTW - entering addresses via. nav is pretty clunky even on mine. Voice works fairly well, just say "Find an address" and then say the address. Be certain that you say the address number as individual numbers and not one big number - i.e. "one" "two" "three" "four" "main street" instead of "twelve thirty-four" "main street" - it works better. Also, with voice control - when it presents you a list of line numbers - ALWAYS say "Line 1" or "Line 2" never "1" or "2" - it doesn't seemt to work as well.

Yeah, that's what I figured. So, I guess it's working as well as it can at this point.

I just went out and it found lowest gas prices on Travel Link, which it's never done before.

I've said this before (between my rants...) that if this car worked the way that it should, it's perfectly genius.

Let's hope we all get to that point.

Thanks for putting up with me, and thank you Cory (and Mark) for pushing this up the ladder and helping get it resolved. I do appreciate it.

:D

Since then, it's rebooted (maintenance...ack) three times over several hours.

First, finally! Glad to see things are improving.

Second, as I understand...the above should happen once each 24 hours of use. You aren't there yet...but it's getting there.

Did they tell you what version you are on?

They said, "The latest". I assume it's 2.8

Trying to run vehicle health report to find out for sure...

We'll see when that happens. No other way to really tell.

You have an account on syncmyride.com correct? Additionally, your phone is paired properly right? (you can make a call?)

What part of the process is it stuck on?

Not sure why the vehicle health report would not be completing.

However, you can always download the sync status checker app from syncmyride.com and transfer that to MFT via. a (empty) thumbdrive and then tell from that what your version is.

Yeah, that's what I figured. So, I guess it's working as well as it can at this point.

I just went out and it found lowest gas prices on Travel Link, which it's never done before.

I've said this before (between my rants...) that if this car worked the way that it should, it's perfectly genius.

Let's hope we all get to that point.

Thanks for putting up with me, and thank you Cory (and Mark) for pushing this up the ladder and helping get it resolved. I do appreciate it.

:D
I’m really glad I could help. Please don’t hesitate to message me as soon as you need any other assistance.

Cory

Hey Everybody,
Haven't been on here for a while. My Ex is still working like a charm. Gets better everyday. Getting 10.8 l/100km. Highway and in town. Everything works. Like Peter9k said. Your gonna get lemons. I've had mine since Feb. Has worked great with no problems. Ride on Brothers and Sisters. RIDE ON>

So I'm curious as to whether everything held up with your extended drive.

Got to my first stop OK. First route calculation took over 6 minutes, but it
worked.

Once I arrived, I ran the vehicle health report and it worked.

Then, I started to program in my next stop before I picked up my passengers and the screen froze. Mid frame from changing screens. I had to disconnect the battery and wait ten minutes. Rebooted and tried again. Worked.

Frozen screen several times again today. Worked a few times in between. Miles better than it was before, but it's completely unacceptable as a tool to rely on.

ipod also played today. Never had that before.

Ended day by hanging up and not allowing me to delete a route, just to make it stop. Instead I got a blank nav screen with a "set destination" button showing, clickable, and nothing happens. 20 minutes of driving later it calculated a route. Good thing.... I was a block away. Holding my iphone nav screen up as I drove the whole way.

Please be fixable by software update... It's obviously more than an APIM replacement to fix my Explorer.

Yes. I'm on 2.8

Also, the Sirius Travel link just gave me churning hourglasses all day.

No fuel prices. Nada.

Something external could possibly be affecting the performance, such as your iPod or phone (some iPhones can load the system down). I assume you did a hard rest of your phone and iPod after the new AIPM was installed.

Try unpairing the phone and disconnecting the iPod then performing a reset of the system. Leave those disconnected and try that for a while to see if anything changes.

There are some other suggestions on the SYNC tutorial site like turning off your phone's WiFi, and auto phonebook, and some other suggestions which I'm sure you've already reviewed and tried.

Hmmm.... Interesting perspective, Vic.

Yes. I unpaired the phone and relisted it. I also do a hard reset on the phone every day, as a precaution.

I do have a massive contact list in the phone... 6000 entries. Could that be it? I'll see if I can dump the phone book in the MFT and refrain from syncing contacts today. Maybe it added them as the day went on and bogged down the system?

The ipod I have connected is a 16GB Nano. The phone is a 32GB iphone 4. Everything has the latest software.

I'm going to try the phone book dump and operating without the Nano today.

Anyone know just how much memory the MFT system has in it? Perhaps they need to expand the amount of RAM in the system? Maybe allow for expansion? RAM is dirt cheap these days and solves a lot of computer problems. Phone capacity is just going to keep getting bigger....

Thanks for the input.

My MFT system has issues and I do not even have a phone paired to it. I assume some of the other guy's issues could be related to their phones, but I am certain it is NOT the root of my issues.

Our system still freezes and the radio just goes wacky all the time. We can be listening to Sirius and it will show AM stations as choices, or it will just freeze and give no control over the radio.

Our navigation still crashes about 90% of the time when we look at the weather radar through Sirius travel link. It has done that since day 1, before and after the new APIM and the new version 2.8 software.

I was told that customer service would stay in touch with me on a regular basis..... they have only called me the initial one time and that was to tell me that there was nothing they could do to fix it until the software was fixed and they "appreciated my patience".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok.. I have the same system.

That's exactly what I'm going through now. I'll still try these other things, just because I have to be proactive with it.

It does work "better" than it did with the old APIM, but does it really "work"...? Nope. Can't rely on it at all.

Resorting to lifting the hood and pulling out a 10mm end wrench to disconnect the battery and reset the car several times per day is completely unacceptable on a brand new nearly $50,000 car.

Back