• Register Today It's free!

LOM issue

97 EB Mike

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer
I've had my truck for several months now, and the entire time the message center has alerted me to "Check Head Lamps" upon turning them on. Previous owner told me of the problem, and also told me that Ford gets like $600 bucks for the "computer" to fix it (I've since learned better). So he bypassed it (more on that in a minute). It has always bothered me, and this evening I decided to do something about it. I searched the forum and found a lot of info on the LOM, how to get to it, and how to fix it. So I pull the console pieces, and much to my surprise, I found some empty gum wrappers, old straw papers, a couple cigarette butts, and NO LOM! Not even a plug. So, figuring I'm an idiot, I double checked the forum, took my laptop out to my truck, and sure enough, it's just not there. I don't see where it should have mounted, the plug for it, NOTHING.

The previous owner's "bypass" aparently involves some speaker wire stuffed into the fuse plug (I'm guessing the fuse for the headlights) from the fuse box on the side of the dash through the firewall and to the headlights. I'm assuming he's wired them direct from the headlight fuse, but I haven't completely chased out his "wiring". My multifunction switch operates properly, as does the pushbutton switch for the fogs in the radio bezel.

I haven't seen anything like this on the forum, so I'm at a loss. The way I understood it, any 2nd gen X with a "message center" is LOM equipped. Am I wrong? Is it likely that he's cut the plug out? Is the plug hidden somewhere? Or maybe I'm proving myself an idiot in some way? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
100_3688.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The connector for the LOM has 13 wires going to it. I can,t beklieve he cut out a 13 wire connector without serious consequences.

I wouldn't think so either, and I don't see any evidence of anything being cut, but I also don't see any evidence of it being there. I'm gonna triple check the pics I've found just to be sure...I'm thinking this is a case of "operator error", and I'm just not seeing something...

I suspect that he may have "moved" it to somewhere more "convenient". As mentioned, IF it was a "cut out" connector, you would be looking at a few more "speaker wire" connections for a "few other things". Perhaps check behind the IP / radio area.

where the message center branches out of the main harness is where the LOM branches, it cant be moved.

only 95-97's had LOM

if the plug isnt there it might not be an option the owner wanted

I have a module with harness if you want it, but more than likely you dont have the wires

Ok, so rechecked the pics. Still no further than I was. Relocation sounds like a high possibility. Forgive my "newbieness", but what is the IP area? Behind the radio bezel? Just put it back together, I'll do some more looking in a day or so. Any more input is genuinely appreciated.

where the message center branches out of the main harness is where the LOM branches, it cant be moved.

only 95-97's had LOM

if the plug isnt there it might not be an option the owner wanted

I have a module with harness if you want it, but more than likely you dont have the wires

So maybe it didn't have LOM to begin with? What causes the "Check Head Lamp" message then? Is there something to the previous owners $600 computer story? All lamps are working after his "bypass". All controls seem to work fine. The headlights don't seem all that bright, which also seemed consistent with LOM failure issues I've seen on other threads, but maybe just a symptom of the current wiring setup?

dim lights would either be

A yellowed head lights
B old bulbs
C low grade bulbs
D sub-standard sized wire (could cause a fire)

from what I know a LOM failure usually is a solder joint that comes undone and causes one of the low beams not to work

OH OH OH

and I found a bypass module in a 98 eddie once in the junkyard. I took it home thinking it was a LOM, but when I opened the casing for inspection, it had no parts, just some solder on a PCB causing a bypass

I looked at mine this morning. LOM is on right side of the console just above where your picture ends in between that black plate on the floor and the plastic exterior of the lower console. Can you post another photo showing the area closer to the front of the lower console?

dim lights would either be

A yellowed head lights
B old bulbs
C low grade bulbs
D sub-standard sized wire (could cause a fire)

from what I know a LOM failure usually is a solder joint that comes undone and causes one of the low beams not to work

That's what I've seen on here too, but I also saw where some bypass methods caused dim lights. I've already buffed the lenses, but have not replaced the bulbs. Also option D is a good possibility. At least I haven't burnt the truck to the ground yet! :D I'll look after work and see what I can find...

I looked at mine this morning. LOM is on right side of the console just above where your picture ends in between that black plate on the floor and the plastic exterior of the lower console. Can you post another photo showing the area closer to the front of the lower console?

Spot on! That's where it is. At least I think. Its mounted with 2 phillips head screws, like the other threads I've seen. Haven't pulled it out yet. It'll wait until later this week, maybe even the weekend. OT pay is great, OT hours suck.

Well, I just couldn't wait till the weekend...

Pulled the LOM, and it was burnt. Big surprise. Removed previous owner's wiring, and using only my burnt LOM I had no low beam, either side. I was able to fix the solder joint between pins 1 and 11, but was unable to find the solder joint between 12 and 13. This this was pretty toasty, kinda hard to read anything printed on it. So, in short, for now I have pass side low, both fogs, and both high beams. Unless I'm feeling real froggy tomorrow, the driver's side will likely wait until the weekend. Probly check a couple local boneyards to see if I can find a good LOM, but otherwise I'm going to bypass using the cut & solder method found elsewhere on this forum. Thanks to all who replied! You help is much appreciated.
For the purposes of anyone who may happen upon my little episode here in a future search, the bypass method is found here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233458&highlight=lom+bypass
Citheman2012 gives a pretty cut and dry explanation of how to do the bypass, and also a link to a schematic that is quite handy!

I have a LOM if you want it

$10, PM me to swap info

PM sent

Update:
I finally got time to work on truck. Changed out the LOM, spliced in new headlight pigtails (the previous owner peeled the insulation off the old ones to tap into them), installed new Xenon White headlight bulbs, and voila! Everything works as it should. Hopefully the new bulbs will give me a little better light too. Closest thing I could find to HID without a true HID conversion. I think they'll be a little brighter, and are certainly whiter than a stock bulb.
Anyway, thanks to all who replied. Made my life a little easier, and possibly kept my truck from catching fire! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

glad to hear the module worked, I had a feeling it was good when I inspected it, but I have no way of testing them

I pull them every time I find one in the junkyard

Back