Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT - 1993 XLT
I am looking at buying a 2001 sport trac
They are asking 3500
177000 miles
4wd
Cloth
Auto
Has hail damage, don't know how bad yet.

What do you guys think about this deal? And is there any major problems with this year?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, and before the hail, it was priced at 7500

$7,500 is way too high for 177k miles, even without the hail damage. If it had every single option and an absolutely stellar maintenance record (plus new tires, brakes, suspension components, etc.) it might be more reasonable.

Just for comparison, I bought a fairly clean '01 Job 1 Sport Trac with 138k miles and all options except the limited slip differential and leather (has 6 CD changer, sun roof, tonneau cover, all power options, 4:10 rear, etc.) for $4,800. It needed tires and shocks, but otherwise was in great shape. I may have grabbed a helluva deal, but I still wouldn't have gone over $5,500 or so for it.

IMO, $3,500 may be fair depending on the hail damage and how much the truck needs. If it's mechanically in excellent shape and the hail damage isn't horrible, go for it. Be sure to look for rust, leaks (coolant / oil), hesitation, any warning lights, and any problems during a test drive. If there's any hint of the transmission slipping or shifting funny, I'd steer clear.

I bought my 01 with every option available plus a bull bar and some PIAA lights (broke shortly after :\ ) for $3,500 cash up front.

Oh, and only 86k miles

I'd steer clear of this one just because they obviously lied about the "price before hail damage." Who knows what else they would try to pull.

By all means, get a Sport Trac; you'll enjoy it. There are good ones to be had coming from owners that took great care of them. A lot of Sport Tracs were originally bought by middle aged yuppies that wanted to go to Home Depot on the weekends and haul their 2.5 children around in comfort.

Yeah, I'd stay away from this one.

1. who drops the price $4k just because of hail damage?

2. That many miles, I'd be leary of the drivetrain being on it's way out (which would explain the $4k price drop)

3. You can get ST's for dirt cheap now, especially out around your area in alot better condition.

I'd keep looking, their out there.

I went to test drive it today, and a guy was testing it already, he drove about 3 hours for it, he bought it before I could get a chance to look at it.

Probably better for you that he's gonna get stuck with a jalopy.

Better for you trust me youll find one just be patient

Not that it matters now but IMO $3500 wasn't a bad price. Heck, they're going for$2000-$3000 wrecked @ the salvage sales here. Being a 4x4 it was worth that price, again, IMO.

I know some of you guys basically stole yours but that's the exception rather than the rule and 4WD is an automatic $900 or more to the value.

I am in the process of buying a 2001 Sport trac 4x4 here in Ontario Canada with 137,000kms safety certified and emissions tested for $4500 CDN - approx. 85,000 miles. Everything is working, no noises/thumps/grinds a/c and heat work great, 4x4 shifts into play perfectly from a stand still and on the fly. Thinking it might be a great deal when I read these posts.

Only issue I can see so far is that the tonneau cover locking assembly is missing the key. Are these reasonable to change and who can do this (dealership? locksmith?)

Your help is appreciated

Doesn't sound like a bad deal, you can have a locksmith or the dealer rekey the tonneau cover or get a new lock and key kit from either the dealer or the site vendors.

Back