Looking at an '07 XLT 4x4 4.0L...

drdoom

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
This week, I am going to look at an '07 XLT 4x4 4.0L w/ 107K. Is there anything in particular I should look out for? It is at a dealership, but not Ford. Thanks for any advice. Best Wishes.

Doc

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Areas I would look for are any leaks from the radiator, trans, transfer case, and rear end. I would listen for any tell tell wheel bearing noises, ie: humming coming from wheels that changes sound when making a turn. Brake noises grinding squealing. Make sure ALL gauges, and all dash lights work. Make sure that if it has auto headlights that they work. You can test those by turning them to auto and covering the light sensor on the dash. make sure interior lights work and shut off after closing the door and starting the truck. On the test drive go to a gravel lot and turn on the 4WD both low and high make sure they engage. Make sure you post pictures if you get it and have fun!

Thank you Polizi, that is good advice. I hope this deal works out, because I have 220,000 miles on my '97 which I plan to keep.

Hi Doc,
timing chain is still an issue on the 4.0. Might want to keep an "ear" on that.
Our 07 just hit 96k and still runs like new.
Cheers,
Andre

Thanks Andre. I will keep an ear out. My '97 has 220K, and just purrs...Motorcraft 5/20 SynBlend for the win!

In the message center make sure easy exit is turned on. Then start it up and advance the seat forward a couple of inches, then take the key - with the vehicle running and wiggle it in the tumbler. If the seat moves back you have a ~ $250 issue to take care of. Tumbler needs replacing.

Thank you TourGuide, that is a good one.

Missed it by that much...been trying to get by the dealer's all week, finally made the long drive today, and the truck sold while my trade-in was being appraised. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Doc

Hello again, I am going to search for another 4G, mostly because I have read somewhere that the cargo area is better than the 3G Explorers. Can anyone here confirm that? Also are the 5R55W problems persistent?

Transmission is about the only thing I haven't had to repair on mine yet. Did a fluid and filter when I bought it. I'm sure its next though. That transmission is only in the V6.

Back