Looking at an 2007 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at an 2007

I’ve been driving an ‘06 XLT 4WD for the past 10 years, has 268,000 miles on it now. 4.0L engine. I’ve used full synthetic Mobile1 and a Wix oil filter the entire time (it had 40,000 miles on it when I bought it). After 100k, I’ve changed trans fluid every 30k. Not afraid to buy another 4.0. They do lack power though and have only done light towing with it.

My problems have mostly been with the cooling system. On its third radiator now, probably fifth thermostat housing. CEL light is on now, fuel rail pressure sensor. Have to remove the intake to get to it - PITA!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2008 XLT with 2 wheel drive and a towing package. I've never towed anything, and other than a break job at 90,000 miles in 2016, here's what I have experienced with the 4.0 V6.

2019 - Transmission rebuild (Appx $5,600) 133,000 miles

Others experiences may vary from mine.

That sounds really high for a transmission rebuild, is that typical for the 5-speed ?

While I'd love to find a V8, or get back in a truck - larger SUVs and pickups around here go for stupid money. Even 200k rotted trucks go for lame money.

I got a chance to look at this closer and it is fairly clean inside and out. My folks have an 07 4.0 that has been trouble free - granted, it has less than 80k on it. I'm on the fence, I want/should replace my 2000. But I also need to talk my wife into buying a car ;) I greatly appreciate the comments and suggestions here. I have started watching for 09/10 V8s that don't have high miles.

While I'd love to find a V8, or get back in a truck - larger SUVs and pickups around here go for stupid money. Even 200k rotted trucks go for lame money.

I got a chance to look at this closer and it is fairly clean inside and out. My folks have an 07 4.0 that has been trouble free - granted, it has less than 80k on it. I'm on the fence, I want/should replace my 2000. But I also need to talk my wife into buying a car ;) I greatly appreciate the comments and suggestions here. I have started watching for 09/10 V8s that don't have high miles.

Older trucks and even large SUVs ALWAYS have value, even if in bad shape. Reason is because they can be used to make a living.

Wow...that's not bad from the pics at least. I'd definitely check it out if I were in the market for another. Could be the coilpacks going bad causing the trans issue..that's fairly common with the V8..and was a thing with mine. Made the trans shift weird, felt like it was going out. I put new coils in and boom, runs like a race car now.

Plus, it's an EB and looks like it has the upgraded interior colors (as does mine). Look at the door panels..the contrast..

Hard to tell if it has a moonroof, but it does have the roof rack bars.

Wow...that's not bad from the pics at least. I'd definitely check it out if I were in the market for another. Could be the coilpacks going bad causing the trans issue..that's fairly common with the V8..and was a thing with mine. Made the trans shift weird, felt like it was going out. I put new coils in and boom, runs like a race car now.

Plus, it's an EB and looks like it has the upgraded interior colors (as does mine). Look at the door panels..the contrast..

Hard to tell if it has a moonroof, but it does have the roof rack bars.
Bad coilpacks kill the catalytic converter. I passed on one over that. The cat (this is more a problem in NY and CA that needs a special part) is over $1500 and there is no aftermarket. Probably less in other states.

One in Des Moines on CraigsList. Needs tranny work but at $2400 it's cheap enough to check out at least.

It doesn't look bad in the pictures, but it has 10k less miles than my current Explorer. I'd like to get something newer and fewer miles. Plus 100+ miles to tow it home if the tranny craps out.

Back