Looking at buying an 96 XLT 5.0 AWD | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at buying an 96 XLT 5.0 AWD

Ok gotcha.

Now for a technical question. The idle rpm fluctuates from time to time from like 500-1500. Sometimes it will even die at idle, but then starts right back up. Is this a good sign that the MAF or the throttle body needs cleaning? If so, what are the recommended cleaners for them? Just some throttle body cleaner that won't damage the protective coating and some MAF cleaner? I've read varying suggestions when cleaning the throttle body...some people say it can be cleaned by leaving it on...while others say to take it off. Also reading info on cleaning the MAF people some people say to take the sensor out completely while others clean it without removing it. Everyone seems to say to be careful not to rub anything on the contacts and to just let it air dry. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Brad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pictures

I thought while i was at it I'd just do a group shot.
* 97 Ford Explorer AWD 5.0
* 94 Ford Bronco 5.0
* 93 Ford F150 4x4 5.0 5spd
* 78 Ford F150 4x4 351m 4spd
* 95 Ford Taurus SHO 3.0 MTX
* 93 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2 ATX

Vehicle Photos

i c! Can you fit 31*10.5 on thoes rims?

I would assume so...they are just stock rims...I don't know much about when explorers start having clearance problems with widths and heights. The bad thing is the tires are like new ;(. I have 32's on my bronco and if you turn sharp it will catch the curl in the front bumper...the same with my 93 f150.

Ok having driven the vehicle for a couple days I've been able to notice a few issues.
1) The motor has a slight ticking noise until the engine is warmed up. I just changed the oil (5w 30 mobil 1 synthetic) with a motorcraft oil filter, but that didn't seem to help. I read on here somewhere that it could be a pinhole in the exhaust manifold? Lifter sticking?

2) The ball joints must not have been changed so they will need to be changed. Any suggestions on where to buy these or just buy them from my local autoparts store?

3) The rpm tends to wander from 1500 rpm down to 500 rpm when cold, but seems to stabilize around 1200 after its warmed up.

Any helps or tips would be greatly appreciated,
Brad

My '97 Mounty has the "P" heads so I lucked out. Plus I don't have the 98-01 ugly @ss front end:D
:eek:

I love the front ends on the 98-01 2nd gens over the 95-97 fronts. I've even seen a lot of 95-97 owners swap out front ends.

Yea, my explorer does the same thing with the tick. Im not sure yet either what it is exactly. But i was told it sounded like lifter tick. I had a shop do my ball joints about 800 for all 4 with an alignment.

Ok Z thanks for the information on the ball joint repair costs. How many miles does yours have on it and how long has it been ticking? Mine has around 162k on it and I have no idea how long it has been ticking since I've only owned it for around 200 miles lol. I know the truck has been parked, but I only think it was parked for a month at most. I was wondering if this could have attributed to a lifter sticking...but that is probably unlikely.

Could very well be a cracked header. Happens quite often. I had it happen with both my 98 and my 96. Both times the passenger side. I rebuilt my engine so I went ahead and spent the $ on the Torque Monsters but it is possible to remove the header and weld it or replace it with a stocker.

Ok having driven the vehicle for a couple days I've been able to notice a few issues.
1) The motor has a slight ticking noise until the engine is warmed up. I just changed the oil (5w 30 mobil 1 synthetic) with a motorcraft oil filter, but that didn't seem to help. I read on here somewhere that it could be a pinhole in the exhaust manifold? Lifter sticking?

2) The ball joints must not have been changed so they will need to be changed. Any suggestions on where to buy these or just buy them from my local autoparts store?

3) The rpm tends to wander from 1500 rpm down to 500 rpm when cold, but seems to stabilize around 1200 after its warmed up.

Any helps or tips would be greatly appreciated,
Brad

i have the same thing in my 97 mounty 5.0 and i have the same oil 5w30 full synthetic mobil 1 and a bosch oil filter...it sounds like a sharpened pencil tapping on a desk until it warms up...

Hmmm...it seems to be a fairly common problem. The general consensus from what I've read is most people attribute it to a cracked exhaust manifold. I wish I knew for sure if this is the case. I'm kinda leary to put a quart of atf into it without knowing for sure if it is a lifter that is indeed causing it. The wierd thing is that when you shut it down and lift it sit for a couple of minutes and restart it ...it will also do it until you drive it around for a while. Eventhough its fairly cold here i couldn't imagine the exhaust manifold cooling down that much in a couple of minutes where it would need that extra time again to heat up again.

The 5.0 engine is a tough one I have a 96 and it has upwards of 200k and it runs like new, I haven’t done any major work to the truck although the front ends needs it bad…
Why would you add ATF to the engine? Would it make a lifter stop making noise?

The detergents in ATF can cause gummed up things to free. If the ticking isn't bad, I'd let it go. Mines been ticking for 80K+. Hasn't gotten any worse.

Ok yeah I guess maybe mine is worse than others or maybe it annoys me more than others because the vehicle is new to me so i'm not used to it ;).

HA, yea. youll be fine. I think it is the manifold. Just buy some Torque monster headers. Youll free up some ponies and MPGs.

Factory Ford hydraulic lifters often make more noise than expected. Part of that is because there is no adjustment. Manufacturing tolerances can have them end up too loose, meaning that they don't have enough preload. I'm hinting that this is equally as likely as the lifter being gummed up etc, it is not likely. Keep an eye(or ear) on it, monitor the symptom for sounds which suggest major problems. Skip the ATF idea, there are far better and safer cleaners made specifically for that task.

Which are.....

There are many oil additives which have detergents in them and claim better mileage, wear etc. Check out a Napa or Pep Boys, the bigger parts stores. They will have a good assortment to look at.

Back