Looking at used 2013 XLT - what should I know? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking at used 2013 XLT - what should I know?

Mitch Roberts

Reaction score
City, State
Darien, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 w/Flex Fuel 6
We are about to buy our 4th Explorer, as our 2003 is getting a bit tired at 220,000 miles. What should I know, if anything, before jumping on a 2013 model year with about 28-30K miles? It has the V6 TIVCT engine and is fairly loaded with many bells and whistles, so let me know if there have been any issues with things that are expensive to repair and require a dealer to do.

I went through the list of TSBs and nothing looked too onerous.

Many thanks,

Mitch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should know that in no way, shape or form, is the 2013 comparable to the 2003, or vice versa.

Make sure it is what you want and fits your needs before buying it.

You should know that in no way, shape or form, is the 2013 comparable to the 2003, or vice versa.

^This.

I had a '93 Explorer, '96 Explorer, '99 Expedition, and an '03 Ranger, and I figured I'd just love a 2011 Explorer.

I've owned it just over 2 months and over half that time it has been in the shop, but besides the terrible quality, I just don't love it like I thought I would. Make sure it is what you want and it fits your needs.

I'm sure if I bought a Sport I'd be thrilled with the newer Explorers :)

We are about to buy our 4th Explorer, as our 2003 is getting a bit tired at 220,000 miles. What should I know, if anything, before jumping on a 2013 model year with about 28-30K miles? It has the V6 TIVCT engine and is fairly loaded with many bells and whistles, so let me know if there have been any issues with things that are expensive to repair and require a dealer to do.
Mitch

If you are only going to use it to do light towing, no mud riding, and just haul people, you will be OK. Today's Explorer is more of a car than a truck.
Give it a good test drive and accelerate it hard to make sure that it doesn't have the exhaust smell issue. This issue is hit or miss in the Ex's as not all have it.
As far as repairs go, I cant help you there as I have not had to repair anything on mine yet.
Good Luck!

I've had 2004, 2006, 2008, and 2010 Explorers. I waited to 2014 to replace the 2010, hoping Ford would have all the bugs out of the Gen 5. They did not, so expect some issues with a 2013.

The Gen 5 is a disappointment, as it is not up to even light off-roading, meaning dirt and gravel access roads I travel to clients locations. There is very little ground clearance, it drags on a horse turd, and the "terrain management" system doesn't even come close to a 4WD system. Calling the Explorer a 4WD is a very large stretch.

I traded my 05 Explorer for a 13 Ex XLT last October. I love my 13. It is like riding in a luxury vehicle compared to the 05. I have the regular V6 not the eco boost. I also have the tow package. The 3.5 L v6 has more power than the old 4.0 L and gets better mpg .

I wouldn't expect any issues with a 2013. Mine was great for 40k miles and the new one has been just as reliable with 10k miles on it so far.

Test drive the 2013 Explorer and be sure that is what you want. In March I bought a new 2015 Explorer without test driving it. I have driven Explorers since they came out in1991. I've had a 1991, 1997, 2005 and now a 2015. The 2015 is a great CAR, no where near the truck Explorers of the past. They should have called it a Taurus wagon. It rides great, drives on the highway OK, and does get super gas miles. BUT it is no Explorer. I doubt I would have bought the 2015 if I had driven it. I haven driven Fords, since buying my first new one in 1970, but not sure I will buy another one. They just don't have the selection of trucks I want anymore. It appears Fords idea is, if you want a truck, buy a F150 or go somewhere else.

Craig

I ordered a 2012 Explorer with 5 miles on it. It currently has about 47K miles with zero issues and a few recalls. This is my first Explorer and SUV so I can't compare it to the previous generations.

Thanks for the comments so far. It's actually good if it drives less like a truck - it will be my wife's vehicle primarily. Not an issue that it won't off-road so well. It's the reliability I'm concerned about.

Been happy with mine (could use a little more power) but while not a rock crawler by any means, it can handle more than horse turds and gravel for sure (so says me from 7K foot climb up rough AZ back roads). If you are going off road much, more rugged tires are a must and lose the lower airdam, before it's removed for you by something.

I have a 2012. Rear brake issues seem to be common on this vehicle if you live in an area where roads are salted. My rear brake pads and rotors had to be replaced at 33K miles because they got corroded by the salt. There is a whole thread on this issue elsewhere on the board. The only other regret I have is not buying a vehicle with more options. I bought a base package and it is very sparse in equipment. The cloth seats aren't very comfortable for long drives IMHO. Since you live in CT, I would suggest you invest in dedicated snow tires. I threw a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks on last winter and it made a world of difference in how the vehicle handled in ice and snow.

You and your wife will like it. If I may offer a bit of advice, get an Explorer Sport instead of XLT. You will enjoy the power, and you will enjoy the power... Yes, I said it twice!:)

...dont bother with the 4cyl. option if it does come up due to color or features, etc
...not gonna be pleased with it...:exp:

2013 explorer sport

Not sure where to post this question but looking at getting into a used suv with 2nd row buckets and space for 3 kids (4,7,10). I know the owner of a 2013 sport with 57k miles, or for same price 2012 acadia denali with 34k miles. Any advice? Torn what to do, both drive nice. Both have 2nd row buckets. Sport is loaded with everything but rear dvd. Denali is loaded with dvd and headsup display. Never owned Gm. Used to have 04 explorer we drove until 115k miles then sold it.

I may be a bit biased because I'm a die hard Ford fanatic, but in April this year I took delivery of a 2015 Explorer Limited. I sold my 2003 V8 Explorer keeping in mind all the stuff I hear people say - it's not a real truck anymore, less masculine, not really made to tow or go off-road etc... And while I thought I would miss my 2003 V8, I do not. The 2015 is leaps and bound ahead of it. The ride quality, smoothness, handling, braking, safety and overall comfort far exceeds any previous model. Most families buying Explorers are not going off-road, towing, or doing anything wild or adventurous like that. They're packing some gears, bags in the cargo area, dog/kids in the 2nd row and making road trips to go on vacation or the local shopping center. It's really the lifestyle most Americans live that has dictated the direction of the Explorer. I think Ford has done a fantastic job responding to our needs in creating a vehicle that satisfies what we're looking with plenty of room, comfort and much improved fuel economy. You will not make a mistake upgrading to the newest model out there. There's a reason sales of the Explorer has picked up tremendously. And Ford realizes the formulas has been working, hence they didn't mess it much, merely a tiny refresh on the 2016 models. You typically only hear about the problems a vehicle might have, but what manufacturer doesn't have issues here or there. And with so many hundreds of thousands that are sold, I think they're doing pretty good. Keep up the good job Ford!

Not sure where to post this question but looking at getting into a used suv with 2nd row buckets and space for 3 kids (4,7,10). I know the owner of a 2013 sport with 57k miles, or for same price 2012 acadia denali with 34k miles. Any advice? Torn what to do, both drive nice. Both have 2nd row buckets. Sport is loaded with everything but rear dvd. Denali is loaded with dvd and headsup display. Never owned Gm. Used to have 04 explorer we drove until 115k miles then sold it.

The Acadia is a larger vehicle if you need more room.

Check out the Denali on a GM forum and compare issues, for those features I would like to try a Denali, as long as you think it drives well.
The Ex drives really well, Denali def larger all around.

You asked!! Stay away from Govt Motors.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Open the hood and look under the lip all the way around pulling back the rubber seal that rings the inside of the hood and look for paint bubbles. This is a documented problem with the aluminum hood. Don't buy if you see any. This one is a deal killer IMO.

I'd test drive in the rain as leaks down the rear seatbelt, sunroof and rear hatch have been posted on this forum. Third row seatbelt seems to be most common.

Test drive for a while with strong acceleration with windows closed. Alternate between AC, heat and neither. Some Ex's have an exhaust fume smell in the cabin that can't seem to be fixed.

Have the rear breaks examined before purchase. Some have been known to corrode and seize/not work properly - such as not fully releasing while applying a light but constant pressure to the rotor. Wears pads quickly and lowers gas mileage.

Have a independent mechanic give it a full look-over as with any used vehicle. Engine, suspension, any signs of repaired accident damage (CarFax not reliable if not reported - and reported accidents the previous 4-5 months generally don't show so people sell quick), any signs of new paint job anywhere on vehicle, etc.....

Back