Looking for a little advice repairing rear door post | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for a little advice repairing rear door post

I recently acquired a complete new rear door to replace the crunched existing door. The problem is the 94 was T-boned right at the rear quarter pillar & door area.

The post is bent and the body was cut and hammered in so the door would close. I bought the rig like this & have never opened the door. I want to replace the door for now, & down the road repair the quarter panel. For now, I just want to get the new door on.

So.....I need some advice on straightening the latch post so the newer door will open & close.

Will a normal cable come-a-long work? The post is on an angle, so yanking it will only make it more angled I think. The end of the post is farthest out.

DSCF4092.jpg

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You gotta use one of those auto body pullers.

Or what I would do is sawsall the bent pieces off and sawsall a junk explorer for just a total metal replacement.

x2
buy a cordless reciprocating saw (Sears - $55 + batteries if you don't have them)
go to the junk yard and cut a full piece out. From the looks of your pictures, After removing the rear window, Id cut from the top of the rear window, then down to the wheel well, and take the whole dog leg area inside the door.

I did this for my dad for rust repair...He is in Canada and heavy salt is used on the roads in winter.
he is not a body man... but did all the body work himself, His cousin did the spraying.
I posted his pictures in another thread a while back, but Im so proud of him, I'll post them again :D

His Rocker panels
009.jpg

I went to a Junk Yard here in FL, and cut out the rockers
Junkyard2.jpg

junkyard1.jpg

I cut them in half, boxed them up and shipped them home.
Dad cut his old ones out, and welded in the new ones
014.jpg

I also sent the area around the gas cap
002.jpg

003.jpg

Before
017.jpg

After - Changed from electric blue to Wedgwood blue
024.jpg

Thanks guys. I will eventually get around to replacing the damaged area. For now, I am just looking for tips on how to get the post in a good position to be able to operate the new door.

Thanks guys. I will eventually get around to replacing the damaged area. For now, I am just looking for tips on how to get the post in a good position to be able to operate the new door.

A few of suggestions

A slide hammer - but thats gonna leave a lot of holes
117352_lg.jpg

Invest in a weld-on puller, it basically welds on draw pins, then you pull on that.
When done, you grind them off smooth - expensive
51042.JPG

Or as a last resort, you could cut into the inner wheel well, and hammer from the inside, once done, weld up the inner wheel well.

Welp been awhile, but with the help of another EF'er, Looks like the body work is finally going to get done in the near future :D

The door was replaced and the pillar pulled out and straightened so the door works fine, but it is still an eyesore. Not for too much longer! Woot!

uh oh, what did i sign up for, LOL.

Look forward to getting it fixed bud!

Back