Looking for a little more power... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for a little more power...

yes and yes, but as I've said many many times before, headers aren't worth the money unless your stockers are shot and you need to replace them anyway, or you're going forced induction. This recommendation only applies to Explorers, as many other vehicles benefit more from aftermarket headers (but not all).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Re: Really

Originally posted by Nicaraguense
Actually when it comes to racing the stock 4.0 SOHC beats the piss out of the stock 5.0 in the explorers

Hmmm... really... interesting. But not as interesting as people saying V8 gets better mileage than V6... ;)

anyone know what the RWHP is of the OHV without any mods??

Scott

About 120-125.

geez thats it, is there a formula to figure it out or anything?

Scott

A truck usually loses 20-25% through the driveline. On my car it's closer to about 15%.

We do carry the JBA Headers for the V6 SOHC, but they are only cataloged to fit the 2000+ Explorers. They will bolt on to the V6 SOHC heads, but the head pipes will not match up. I imagine that a custom y-pipe could be fabricated. We have not tried it yet. If someone wants to give it a try I will give you a great price on them!

By the way, you should only consider installing the headers if you already have all of the other stage 1 & stage 2 upgrades. ( exhaust, intake, mass air sensor, throttle body (ohv) and computer chip).

Attachments

• headers 1674 web.jpg
    headers 1674 web.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 223

I am told by my dad

that I just got an exhaust leak. I don't know if it is true or not. Says it sounds a little louder than usual and he can her it sputtering. I haven't noticed anything... yet... going to listen carefully. Just for kicks and giggles, ¿what kind of a deal are we talking about? I have a 2000 4x4 4.0 SOHC.

I would consider matching or beating the best deal you can find on the internet (not E-Bay). I could do better if we could get a group buy together, say five members?

GEars, what gears are you running and what tire size?

Also cooling is important. A 180 degree thermostat may help you run cooler. Gas mileage may suffer slightly, and the Apten chip may need to be aware of the changes.
A stock thermostat runs the truck at about 210-215 degrees with a in tune cooling system and a 185 stat the OHV will run at 190-195.

remember the thermostat only controls the minimum tempature.

Also for a street driven truck there are some electric fans available that can free up some HP for you.
It seems that for off road trucks with the OHV no electric fan is adequate for all situations, meaning hillclimbs, mud etc and most people run into overheating problems. But there are many people out there running electric fans on the street with no issues.

Also dont forget about important things, such as feeding your K&N nice cold air, not hot underhood air.
Good plugs and wires are mandatory for a strong running OHV, I prefer Bosch +4's but some people disagree. I also like NGK and Motocraft plat.
Taylor makes a great wire for the OHV as does Jacobs.

Intake porting/gasket matching is something yu can do yourself for the most part and free up some power. the lower intake on the IOHV can use some help, the uppers flow pretty well stock but can always use smoothing.

Where you will see a vast improvement in OHV performance $ for $ is with a CAM. The 410 grind of 422 grind , (410 for a DD is recommended). This can really WAKE UP a alreadyy modded OHV 4.0L, the stock cam is a dog.

The best thing to do after all this, is have the heads done.

Other things to consider are:
full synthetics, trans temp and fluid (auto), Clutch type (5 speed), fuel pump and injector upgrade along with the MAS, a larger cat (I run a 2.5 cat on my OHV) and I personally like the headers on the OHV, but the amount of work required to install them is usually the reason why people pass them up, butif you are going to do the work yourself (dont mind), have the engine out, they are worth the $$$ :)

Originally posted by 410Fortune
A stock thermostat runs the truck at about 210-215 degrees with a in tune cooling system and a 185 stat the OHV will run at 190-195. :)

Mt truck ( sohc ) runs at 190 F with the 190 F thermostat.

Originally posted by aldive
Mt reucj ( sohc ) runs at 190 F with the 189 F rgwenistat.

:confused:
I didn't know you speak German, Aldive. ;) :D

I am referring to the OVH trucks I have worked with..also ones without factory gages....

On cold days my truck barely gets above 180 and I have to push it to do so, so the computer will switch to open loop, on hot days while towing I have gotten her up to 220 degrees,

The thermostat only controls the min tempature. There are lots of variables, also I have found that not all thermostats are the same. Meaning you can buy 10 ea 180 degree thermostats, boil them in water with a thermometer and watch....no two will open at the exact same time..

Where would i find a cam, and how much is it. would it be difficult to install myself?

Scott

look here in the forums under 4.0L

www.rangerpowersports.com

Everything you need to know about getting and installing a cam with the engine still in the truck...

A couple of things I found on the site and tried: Throttle Position Sensor set to .96 and adding zip ties to the end of the throttle cable. Sometimes there is about an inch of slack that can be takin up on the throtle cable. Both of these helped my Explorer in becoming more responsive. The throttle response was greatly improved. If you do a search you can find "how to's" for both of these.

What size are the stock OHV injectors?

Back