Looking for a "new" Ex, V6 w/ 5R55W or V8 w/ 6Rxx Tranny? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for a "new" Ex, V6 w/ 5R55W or V8 w/ 6Rxx Tranny?

awh4992

Reaction score
City, State
rochester, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Mountaineer V8
My 2nd gen (2000) explorer is sadly nearing the end of its useful life. It's about 15 yrs old (10 of those yrs w/ me), spent all of it's life in salty NY winters, and I've put about 120,000 miles on it. It's almost at 200,000 miles now. It runs fine, no trouble codes, AC works, shifts fine, but is rotting out everywhere. I know this truck inside and out w/ all the dumb little fixes that I've had to do over the years. Never had to take the engine out or the tranny.

The biggest scare I had w/ the 2000 ex was when the tranny (5R55E) went into limp home mode one day. Luckily Glacier had a nice 5R55E post about valve body and other fixes. My solenoid holder plate thingy bent and let a solenoid out, and tore a o-ring at the same time. Fixed that myself, added Ford's updates, and have about 80,000 miles since that repair. Anyway, I'm looking for a newer explorer as they're plentiful and cheap compared to a pickup, but tranny problems worry me.

So I'm looking for a 4th gen, southern ex, low-ish miles (under 80k hopefully), but I'm not sure if I should avoid the 5-speed (5R55W) ex w/ the SOHC engine due to tranny servo failures, coil pack failures, and possible overheating problems (maybe that's just poor maintenance...dunno). I have the SOHC engine in the ex now and it's fine for everything I do w/ it. I wanted to stay w/ a V6 over a V8 for fuel economy, but it sounds like the hit really isn't much w/ the V8 over the V6.

Do people think that the 6-speed tranny coupled w/ the V8 is a more reliable way to go long term? It sounds like it needs a software update, but meh whatever that's an easy fix vs what seems to be needed to fix pretty much every 5R55W. Are there other high-fail rate items (tranny or otherwise) on the V8 ex vs the V6 that I should be aware of?

I'd be comfortable doing the 5R55W servo "band-aid" myself (modified servo w/ o-rings, which will wear out at some amount of mileage), but definitely not the brass insert fix (longer term fix it seems). Coil pack isn't a big deal either, but I dunno, I'd rather leave the tranny alone other than changing the fluid and maybe a band tighten here and there. Again if a software update is necessary to make the 6R work properly, whatever, I'll take it to the dealer for that.

I'd like the "new" truck to get to 200,000 miles as well if I can stave off the inevitable rust for a while. Just trying to find the highest-reliability way to get there w/ the cheaper explorers that are available.

Thanks in advance for the help/insight!

Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you drive the 4.0 and the 4.6 the same way the extra gear of the 6R66 on paper gets you 1mpg better... I wish I could have found a V8 in November when my 1998 died at 205K but these are not very plentiful or cheap where I live... only downside I see is if just about anything breaks it can cost thousands to fix.... and just about every replacement part is 4X the cost of a 2nd gen

My 06 v8 with 6r60 has 207 miles.
Tranny is still good, at 203k the torque converter went bad.
I replace the fluids in both differentials, transfer case and tranny every 60k miles.
I tow a lot, and plow my driveway in the winter. If you ask me, the 6 speed is much better than the 5R.
It was used in heavier f150 and expeditions, so that says something.

My suggestion is to search, this topic has been discussed on multiple threads here and both vehicles are reliable depending on how they are used. The V6 can be very reliable and low maintenance and so can the V8, it really comes down to what year/years you can get your hands on and what maintenance records the vehicles have. Bottom line is that if the vehicle was well taken care of by the previous owner then it should be able to make it to 200k with some basic repairs (hub replacement in particular) and maintenance.

Had a similar debate a few years ago, though I was coming from a 2nd Gen Explorer, not a 3rd Gen. Ended up going with the V8.

I looked at this way: The 5r55 was pretty well known, and has its known gremlins. The 6R60/80 is used in the F150's behind powertrains throwing more power through them, so I know it isn't maxed out behind the 3V 4.6. On the flip side, there were some issues out of the box with the bump on downshifting, etc... with the early ones. Have had my '07 V8 for about 30,000 miles and no regrets on the powertrain end of things.

A note on fuel economy. Consider your driving cycle. If you drive more freeway than City, you should be able to do as well, if not better than the six cylinder with this engine and trans combo. If you do a lot of City driving, you will burn more fuel. There is a huge difference between me and my wife in driving cycle, and the difference in fuel mileage from our V6 equipped Explorer is noticeable - better on the freeway, worse in town. Your mileage may vary...

200,000, you are closing in on the end of the fuse for the timing chain guides. Just a matter of time would be my guess. You should buy a lottery ticket as luck seems to be your friend. As for a V6, I will never purchase another ford product thanks to the 4.0L SOHC. I have also heard horror stories from the 55r5 transmissions, but that is about the only thing I haven't had to replace. If you really have to have another explorer, I would stick to the V8 if I were you. Cam phasers are expensive, 900 dollar spark plug changes are terrible, and 2000 dollar exhaust manifold bolt replacements do suck, but at least the transmission is solid. All relatively cheap compared to pulling the motor on the 4.0L for a guide and chain refreshing.

200,000, you are closing in on the end of the fuse for the timing chain guides. Just a matter of time would be my guess. You should buy a lottery ticket as luck seems to be your friend. As for a V6, I will never purchase another ford product thanks to the 4.0L SOHC. I have also heard horror stories from the 55r5 transmissions, but that is about the only thing I haven't had to replace. If you really have to have another explorer, I would stick to the V8 if I were you. Cam phasers are expensive, 900 dollar spark plug changes are terrible, and 2000 dollar exhaust manifold bolt replacements do suck, but at least the transmission is solid. All relatively cheap compared to pulling the motor on the 4.0L for a guide and chain refreshing.

Just put in a low mile new bullet and be done.

Thanks for the replies! For those that suggest to search, I have, and I had hoped my 1st post proved I had looked into pretty in depth the problems w/ the 2 trannies. There are endless posts on one-off problems with either explorer, but I don't really care about those. I'm interested in the common problems. I'll attack the one off's as they appear (like w/ my edge). I actually did search for the comparison I was hoping to find opinions on, and didn't find anything of real value. Hopefully you can tell by my join date that I've been browsing this site for 10 years now =). I've fixed numerous stupid little things on the explorer thanks to this forum. I'd rather come here than bother w/ the haynes manual or the ford manual.

I had seen some posts about the chain guides on the SOHC, but that seemed to be on the newer SOHC (maybe it's the same engine as the 2000 SOHC?). But yeah I'm assuming I'm on borrowed time regardless as making it to 200k in any vehicle that's lived its entire life in NYS is hard to do.

Tech By Trade, why do you say a spark plug change is $900? Do they get stuck and bust off? Why the $2000 exhaust bolt thing? Sounds like stuff must break when doing the work to incur that extra cost. I'd also be doing it myself so...dunno if those prices are including shop labor. My edge is pretty dumb about plug changes as the whole intake manifold needs to be removed as 3 of the plugs are right in front of the dash. Anyway...

I don't *have* to have an explorer, I'd rather have a pickup to be honest (looking at the tundra, F150, and possibly a titan), but similarly aged and mileage explorers are roughly 5k cheaper, sometimes more depending on where it lives. I use the explorer like a pickup. It only sucks when I need to jam something tall in the back. Hafta bust out the trailer in that case.

So I do mostly highway miles and occasional light towing.

Thanks for all the opinions, and I'll peruse some more w/ problems w/ the explorers, but it sounds like the V8 is the better way to go at maybe a small hit in gas mileage compared to where I am today. You guys are great!

Google tritan spark plug change, they get stuck in the block due to poor design. anything pre 09 will have this issue. Also google tritan exhaust manifold, they warp and the studs break causing exhaust leaks. This one is not a matter of if but when. Also google tritan cam phaser failure, not as common but still happens quite a bit. My father in-law just did his plugs on his 06 f150, after a bunch of usless fluid changes, they came around to changing his plugs. In total his bill was 2 grand. After he got the bill he was asking me about the exhaust manifolds. Same engine.

I was thinking Tacoma for my next, but I actually found a Tundra should fit my lifestyle better. I should have learned my lesson when I took my 2007 ranger I ordered from the factory in for the fourth slave cylinder under warranty. So much for brand loyalty, I am going for quality this time around.

The tundra (depending on year and where you live) has a whole frame recall ;) There's quality for ya! It rots out quickly. In general it's probably a better vehicle though.

For me the 2006 V8 explorer has been relatively good vehicle. Apart the transmission bump (TSB helped it, tranny fluid and filter change further improved it for not being an issue any more), radiator replacement and 3rd row seat motor replacement it has been trouble free. I have not had issues with the exhaust manifold, nor have I had wheel bearings go bad, yet?

I have not tried the spark plugs yet due to only 55K on the truck.

Looks like only the 2003 model year Tundra can touch the 2009-2010 Explorer in quality...: :D
http://www.carcomplaints.com/best_vehicles/

55k, do it now, you may be able to save yourself hundreds doing it yourself. Usually around 30 is where they start being a problem but if your lucky you can get them out still.

Ive had my 2006 for 7 years now and have put on it 100k. If you are going the V8 route find a 2008 or newer with the revised head design to save yourself the "spark plug" issue. Which is a royal pita and can cost you major $$. I have had my radiator go bad at 85k miles. And a bunch of other little issues that are annoyances. Blower fan control for automatic climate, rear wiper motor, replaced the front end sway bar end links as they somehow rusted out or broke and both fell out... etc.. etc... My coil packs cracked and failed at 127k miles, not all of them just a few. Transmission has been great and reliable, I have not changed the fluid or dropped the pan. Currently my 6 disk changer is messed up and won't eject any of the disks. So I need to pull that. The engine has ran great besides the spark plugs failing at 80k and having to use an extraction tool to get them out, and coil packs going at 130k. Right now it runs very strong. The spark plugs failing at 80k was not fun as I drove it too long with the engine pre detonating and blew the catalytic converters can caused premature failure of the exhaust manifold gaskets.

Right now I have to replace the radiator fan clutch as that just went and it is intermittently locking it. Fun..

Best advice for anybody here with an 06-07 V8 is get your damn factory plugs out ASAP!! Put in the revised SP-514 plugs and use high temp nickel anti-seize. You will save yourself a ton of issues and headache down the road.

Back