06 EX V8 tranny oil smoke while towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 EX V8 tranny oil smoke while towing

va2explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsville,VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03EX4.0,06EX4.6
06 EX V8 4X4 85,000K / I was towing my (5) quads up a pretty steep mountain(4-5%grade 3miles) last summer, when I looked back and saw nothing but white tranny smoke, I instantly slowed to 30-35mph and eased to the top where I pulled over and looked under neath, I saw fluid from the vent tube to rear bumper. when I got home I checked the fluid and it was overfilled. I bought the EX with 60,000k and it looked like the tranny had already been out(that worried me) I drained the fluid to the correct level and test drove the crap out of it trying to load the tranny as much as possible, and no more fluid blow out. about 3 weeks later my wife was driving and she said a loud pop(bang) came from under the EX and then the motor would rev high before engaging the tranny again. she was only 2 miles away and she made it home. when I went to test drive it later that day I could not even get over 5mph. like I was holding the brake and flooring the gas at the same time. engine is in limp mode. wrench blinking and check engine liight is on. oh and when I just purchased the EX I replaced ther radiator(imagine that) and discovered the engine temp would have to be 260deg or so before the temp guage would even move from the half way position. did I burn the tranny up or is it a electronic component that got hot and failed.

06 EX V8 4X4 85,000K / I was towing my (5) quads up a pretty steep mountain(4-5%grade 3miles) last summer, when I looked back and saw nothing but white tranny smoke, I instantly slowed to 30-35mph and eased to the top where I pulled over and looked under neath, I saw fluid from the vent tube to rear bumper. when I got home I checked the fluid and it was overfilled. I bought the EX with 60,000k and it looked like the tranny had already been out(that worried me) I drained the fluid to the correct level and test drove the crap out of it trying to load the tranny as much as possible, and no more fluid blow out. about 3 weeks later my wife was driving and she said a loud pop(bang) came from under the EX and then the motor would rev high before engaging the tranny again. she was only 2 miles away and she made it home. when I went to test drive it later that day I could not even get over 5mph. like I was holding the brake and flooring the gas at the same time. engine is in limp mode. wrench blinking and check engine liight is on. oh and when I just purchased the EX I replaced ther radiator(imagine that) and discovered the engine temp would have to be 260deg or so before the temp guage would even move from the half way position. did I burn the tranny up or is it a electronic component that got hot and failed.

That sure sounds like a torque converter went out on you. If it is a torque converter they are pretty easy to replace with basic hand tools and a good floor jack to hold the tranny.

Pull the dip stick and see if the fluid smells burnt now or is it clean?

Back