looking for help with getting another truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

looking for help with getting another truck

wrigley_1285

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Sport
ok so i've been thinking about getting rid of my full size bronco for another truck and it just so happens that i'm looking for another ranger. when i say another i mean i use to have a 94 Mazda B3000 4X4 and ever since i traded it in for my explorer i've wanted another one. I didn't really care if the next one i got was 4X4 or not because i have my ex for that. the truck i'm looking at getting is a 95 ext. cab ranger 2WD 4.0 V6 and 5 speed. it has 155k on the clock, which is less than my bronco with 188k on the 351.

i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions on what i should take a close look at, listen for, and so on, when i go to look at it in person. it has full power, new battery, new front shocks, and new tires. that's pretty much all that i know about the truck so far. so like i said i'd really like some suggestions on what to look for and what might be some potential problems that the ranger might have.

also they didn't put t-bars in rangers till later, right? i thought it was like 97,98 when they changed the suspension. just wondering bc if i end up getting a 2WD ranger i'd consider lowering it bc i've always thought it'd be kind of cool to have a truck with a lower stance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nobody has anything for me?

'98 is when the suspension changed to A-arms. Most (but not all) 2WDs were still supported with coils though.

I would just listen & check for the usual things you look for in a used vehicle.
'95 had some petty electrical issues that were common (the most prevalent being the sticky dome light switches that drive you nuts because the door dinger goes off too while your driving), but mechanically they seem to be pretty sound overall.

Check that it doesn't have the 3.08 axle ratio. Unless you plan to put real small tires on it, it'll be a dog.

...The interior light on mine was taken care of with wd40...;)

...I am very biased as I love my little 4x4 Ranger..:bounce:

...I would definately check the axle code (on the door sticker) as mentioned to find out your gearing...The only thing I can probably add is just remember that 95 is a transition year (model change)...and from my findings, any problem I've had I found the 95 X's also had..

...Very, very minor issues but the biggest ones I can think of is the multi-function switch and the heater switch...Just a bug in them but I haven't had to replace mine, yet...I hope this helps answer your question...:scratch:

my 94 b3000 had the door dinger problem all i did was disconnect the dinger.

i was planing on putting a set of chrome splash rims on it that i already have that have 235/60-15 tires on them. would those be to big if it has that ratio. bc they look pretty small to me. then again i'm use to off road tires not street.:D

also, if it has the 4.0 with a 5 speed and factory tow hitch and fully loaded, i think that it would have a LS instead of open diff. or does none of that matter for the diff?

one other thing i was thinking about doing was if i decide to lower it i don't think the 3" dream beams would be low enough for what stance i'd like. would i be able to put 2" drop coils with the lowering beams. I'm thinking that i'll end up flipping the rear axle. which leads me to another question. would i be able to bolt a 2nd gen explorer axle with LS and disc brakes right on since it's set up for spring under axle. or would that be more work than it's worth. i'd probably have to replace the brake booster with one from an explorer with disc brakes if i were to guess.

sorry so many questions, new to ranger modifying. my last one all i did was maintain and drive it

damn that thing is low. looks pretty cool in two tone primer

man that explorer front end looks awesome

The MAF Sensor and Canister Purge Valve/Sensors were problematic on those but not too expensive to repair. Some of the '95-'97 4.0 heads would crack at 80-100k miles, on both Rangers and Explorers ( I had that happen on a '96 Ex)
but being past that now the one you are looking at should be OK.

thanks for the info

does anyone know if they put the odb plugin (don't know if that's right) for the check engine light on the 95's. someone told me they didn't put them in until 96.

...It's located directly under the steering column, built into the plastic kick panel...They came with a matching plastic cover over it but most are no longer covered...

so it should be exactly like the one in my 00 explorer since they started putting that dash in the 95 rangers.

...I don't know about exactly but that's where I find mine in my 95 Ranger..;)

cool. thanks

Back