looking for new brake pads | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

looking for new brake pads

Alright, got around to pulling out old receipts. My wife kept all the bills paid into a box, before I started compiling them into the vehicles folder. I like to keep all I did to my vehicle in a folder, so when it comes time to sell, I can advertise it, well maintained and perspective buyers have something to see that I am not lying. I went back to see what brake pads were stuck on my first front brake job. They were the Motorcraft BR11438. So no to those or the BR1400. I yet didn't decide what to do for the rear. I will at least make sure the calipers are either greased or get replaced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright, got around to pulling out old receipts. My wife kept all the bills paid into a box, before I started compiling them into the vehicles folder. I like to keep all I did to my vehicle in a folder, so when it comes time to sell, I can advertise it, well maintained and perspective buyers have something to see that I am not lying. I went back to see what brake pads were stuck on my first front brake job. They were the Motorcraft BR11438. So no to those or the BR1400. I yet didn't decide what to do for the rear. I will at least make sure the calipers are either greased or get replaced.

That's the one on Rock Auto listed as a popular choice. I think I'd try the other Motorcraft front pad they show, the NBR833, a "High Level Service Design." I know you said the truck isn't used hard, but maybe someone had driven it at one time who cooked the brakes when they were new, and it made them wear faster or be noisy.

That's the one on Rock Auto listed as a popular choice. I think I'd try the other Motorcraft front pad they show, the NBR833, a "High Level Service Design." I know you said the truck isn't used hard, but maybe someone had driven it at one time who cooked the brakes when they were new, and it made them wear faster or be noisy.
My wife bought this truck brand new, before we married. So I don't think she cooked the brakes, but maybe it happened. I decided to put Raybestoes in the rear. I gave the guy orders to grease the pins and piston and if need be, replace the calipers. I think I like to try the Rabestoes Element3 Hybrid in the front. I know I will soon have to do them as well as change a hub bearing.

A new car is not a sure deal either, the dealer and various people drive them without plans to own it. Any pad may do fine if the brakes aren't used hard, best of luck.

A new car is not a sure deal either, the dealer and various people drive them without plans to own it. Any pad may do fine if the brakes aren't used hard, best of luck.
Still doesn't explain it, why the pads put on at the factory lasted so long. As of the rear pads, I had the same experience with my rear pads on my 2003 Chevy Blazer when I had that vehicle. The first only last a little longer than the front and the second one wore faster than the first rear pads.

There are tons of brake pad compounds, even the manufacturers have more than one for most of their cars. It's impossible to say after the fact what caused your 2nd set of pads to wear out so fast. Seeing the Motorcraft choices listed by Rock Auto tells you that. You don't know which pads they originally put on the truck, and the dealer cannot know either(they lie a lot).

Typically when pads wear too fast or different side to side, one or more of the calipers had been dragging on the rotors for a long time. So then all you can do is guess what it could be. If you think no brake abuse occurred, then you take a shot at it being the caliper(s). The costs of brake parts isn't high, the labor and trouble of working on brakes is great.

So I always choose the best brake parts in general, attempting to reduce brake work, to extend the time between brake work. That costs me a little more because I'm not going someplace to get new free brake pads etc. But I'm fine with that, just like everyone else I don't like to do brakes very much.

Got my rear brake done. Glad I didn't replace calibers. The old pads still had 4/32, so I still could have left on longer. The front brakes past inspection with 6/32. Go figure. If I left the rear on, they could of wore down to not to far off from the originals. Not too bad.

Good work, and thanks for the update.

Back