Looking for some amp advice.

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I currently have a Hifonics BXi1606D amp pushing two 15" Kicker L7's.

My amp is on its last legs, I got it for free (Guy threw it in for free in a trade about 4 years back)

It has been through hell and back, been dropped, and everything else in the book. I took it apart today to clean the inside (make sure theres nothing loose, no dust, etc) and I was gonna resolder the LED panel so it would light up again, and noticed (I have no clue what its called) but a large piece, I want to say its a capacitor busted off the board. It still works perfectly though which amazes me. (Doesnt ever get hot or warm, never cuts out, etc).

I am ready to upgrade, BUT I cannot afford anything crazy. Hopefully whatever amp is decided, I can find slightly used on Craigslist, or eBay.

I personally love Hifonics, aside from the bad reputation, mine has served me well for the last 4 years.

What kind of amps are you other Kicker guys using?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can drop the cash.. Kicker KX2500.1 would be the best bet. But be prepared to power the beast too, so upgrade your batt, do the Big3, and if you still have problems get a bigger amp rated alternator.

Yea, I had planned on the big 3, just waiting for some warmer weather. I plan on getting possibly an Optima as my battery under the hood, and id like to get one of the hude Kinetics in the back. I cannot afford a 2500.1 new, and havent seen one on Craigslist either, thats what my friend suggested. He had a guy who wanted to give him one (In trade) and trade it to me for my amp and my L7 that has a hole in it (I replaced it)but he hasnt heard back from the guy.

I would almost prefer to run dual amps. This is gonna sound stupid as hell, trust me I know, but I have a 2 Ohm L7, and the other is a 4 Ohm L7.

I had no clue when I got them, and didnt notice until I had them in the Grand Am that they were different, I havent been able to find a good deal on any 2 Ohm L7's, let alone anyone who knows what theyres is.

I found a 2500.1 online for 600$ USED. I also found a 1500.1 online for 220$ used, wouldnt 2 1500.1's be better than just one 2500.1?

I swear if I didnt need to get my trans rebuilt I would have just bought a 2500.1

Its on eBay, buy it now for 400$ bids are at 300$

2 different ohm subs? hmm well i suggest getting two 2 ohm subs and an audiopipe 3000d does about 3k rms at 2 ohms. once again youll need a better electrical for this.

you can still run the 4ohm sub with the 2 ohm sub. youll be sitting at 1.5 to 3 ohms depending how you run your wires. i really like my bxi2610D and its been treating me good for a while now. if i were you i would get the 2600 cause if you get another matching amp you will also need to get a maxx link(~$100) and its not easy for everyone to get all the gains correct.

What does the maxxlink do?

Wow thats like chinese to me. Would I really need two of these amps? My 1606D is pushing them beautifully, so this amp alone would have another 1kw, I really cant afford two of them.

Wow thats like chinese to me. Would I really need two of these amps? My 1606D is pushing them beautifully, so this amp alone would have another 1kw, I really cant afford two of them.

either get another 1606 with the maxx link or sell yours and get one 2600. your subs will not handle 2 2600's
having either option will be alot louder and you can have the gain set a little lower with 2 1600's or 1 2600. that way your not clipping at full gain with 1 1600.

there would be no point for him to get the 2600 on top of his 1600... but he can run them at 3 or 1.5 ohms. if the ohm rise can be calculated then he should be fine running the two different ohm subs.

Cool guys, I gotta see whats going on with my trans before I can buy the amp, (Moneys a little tight when you gotta drop 1400$ on your trans)

I have another question though, from Sonix, I can get the 2600 for like 240$ shipped, BUT its refurbished, eBay its like 310$ new...would I be okay going the refurbished route?

Most refurbs I've used have been just fine. You couldn't even tell they were ever used.

Awesome. I didnt know Hifonics even made a bigger amp, so ill be ordering the 2600 hopefully by the end of the week.

there would be no point for him to get the 2600 on top of his 1600... but he can run them at 3 or 1.5 ohms. if the ohm rise can be calculated then he should be fine running the two different ohm subs.

if you read post 11 youll see that i was sayin that he should sell his 1600 and get one 2600. and in earlier post i said the same thing about the ohm rating. he will just see one sub moving more that the other.

referb has always taken care of me! and it still has the same warranty.

I appreciate the info guys! Now the next question, whats my best way to wire them?

As they sit now:

Untitled.png

well it all just depends on how much power you can put to the subs and if your electrical can handle all the power. your subs are different ohm ratings so you might have to do one in parallel and the other in series. check the12volt.com and look up different wiring diagrams
goodluck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered my BXi2610D yesterday morning :D UPS says Dec 22nd

Back