• Register Today It's free!

Looking for some AWD info.

OAS

Reaction score
City, State
Farmington, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
'90 Bronco 2 XL
Long time Bronco 2 owner looking for some Explorer information here.

I am considering buying a super nice 2000 Explorer Sport 2dr.
Loaded with all the goodies, new tires, axle code says its a 4.10 limited slip, and it has only 52,000 miles. Price is 6k.
GORGEOUS ride...............but.....

It has "full time 4wd". (???)
Ive seen these before with the V8's but this is a 4.0 sohc.
And while the v8's only have the awd option, this one has 3 selections on the dashboard dial.
"awd", "4 high", and "4 low".

So what exactly IS this system, and how does it work??
Does it function like a normal 4x4 for wheeling when in 4high & 4 low???

I know that ive seen jeeps with the 4 wheel full time & 4 wheel part time selections on the console.
Is this similar?

Is there a lot of wear and tear on the driveline because of this?

Will the fuel milage just totally suck??

Is there anyplace here or on the web that explains these 4 wheel systems?

Thanks for the help from a future (hopefully) Explorer owner! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not really AWD- its more like auto 4wd. People and apparently automakers often confuse the two. The v-6 drivetrains were never "true" AWD. I'm guessing the transfercases in those models have a viscous coupling like the AWD case so it can be driven on dry pavement?

I had a co-worker that had a Blazer that said Control-track AWD, he swore it was all wheel drive all the time. Wrong, it was a goofy auto 4x4 system. The definition as I understand AWD is "full time all wheel drive" meaning there is no selection by the user and all wheels are driven continuously, much like the 5.0 AWD drivetrain.

Ditto, the problem is so many people see the automatic label, or A4WD, and then mis name it AWD. Auto 4WD is not AWD, Control Trac was the name of the auto 4WD system began in the Explorer.

The A4WD refers to the BW4405 of the 97-01+ Explorers. There is an electromagnetic clutch inside the transfer case which automatically is engaged when the rear speed is more than the front. The other two positions on the dash switch operate a shift motor which engages the full 4WD functions, not street worthy.

The later 2002+ V6 Explorers were available with AWD or the A4WD TC. Before 2002 none of the V6's can have AWD TC's. You can mix the V8 in the sports with an AWD or a bigger BW4406 for real 4WD. Good luck,

Yea it was "AUTO" not awd.

Unfortunatly i may have missed out on it.

Now i have found a '96 with a few more miles on it.
It is also "control trac". But this ones different.

The selector on this one reads:
"2wd" - "4H auto" - "4low".

Am i just having the damnedest luck or do they not make Explorers with
2 hi - 4 hi - 4 low.
Like in the old days???
This ones got a 3.73 posi too. ugh

Maybe i just need to refresh the good ol B2.............:confused:

Yea it was "AUTO" not awd.

Unfortunatly i may have missed out on it.

Now i have found a '96 with a few more miles on it.
It is also "control trac". But this ones different.

The selector on this one reads:
"2wd" - "4H auto" - "4low".

Am i just having the damnedest luck or do they not make Explorers with
2 hi - 4 hi - 4 low.
Like in the old days???
This ones got a 3.73 posi too. ugh

Maybe i just need to refresh the good ol B2.............:confused:

You are exactly correct. They never made it available with 2high/4high/4low until after '02. Functionally, the transfer cases on the 95 and 96 are the same as the 97-01. However, electronically speaking, the two control systems are slightly different, and the front axles are not the same. The *original* theory was that in 2wd, the center axle disconnect on the front axle could break the passenger side axle shaft, which would allow the front driveshaft and differential to stop turning (or more accurately, being pushed by the drivetrain). I suspect it was seen as a potential fuel savings. In all reality, due to the design of the transfer case, the front driveshaft wants to turn even when in 2wd due to the fluid shearing through the clutch assembly in the t-case.

So, I think they probably figured that since there wasn't a significant fuel savings, and some people might actually want full time 4 wheel drive available, they dropped the center axle disconnect, and went with 4auto as the default position, and provided the option of a true locked 4high.

Now, all that being said, if you search the transmissions and transfer case forum for the Comprehensive Brown Wire Mod thread, we have successfully found a way to wrestle control of the system away from the incompetent programmers. With the installation of a simple switch, those of us with 95-96 Explorers can generate a true full time 4wd, and those of us with 97-01s can create a true 2wd. There is no fuel mileage or performance gains to be had from it, but a pleasant side-effect is that it allows you to toggle between 2low/4low with the flick of a switch, and give control freaks like me the ability to determine when I want 4wd and when I don't instead of being at the mercy of the computer.

Any other questions? :)

We have a 95 and 96 explorer with that "2wd/4auto/4low" control trac system. I really don't like the 4auto when trying to climb something so I had done the Brown-Wire-Mod and I love it! It wasn't hard to do, depending on where you want to mount a switch I just unbolted the driver seats, pulled some carpet, routed wire up to the center console and run a hot wire drill and hole and that was pretty much it, not very hard to do. Here is a pic of where I had mounted a threeway toggle incase you would happen to get a 2nd gen explorer and would want to do the BWM.
IMAG0738.jpg

I appreciate the info on the brown wire mod, thanks!

But i may have found what i'm looking for.

A 2001 Explorer Sport built in 06/2000 i believe.

Very nice except it has a D4 axle code. (3.55 trac-lok)
And i was looking for more agressive gearing.

BUT, i looked at the dial on the dash....... "2wd - 4wd high - 4wd low":D
Guess they DID make a few the good old way?
It has the 4.0 sohc/ auto trans with 108,000 miles.
Very nice turquois color too. asking $6,900.

Guess its time to visit kbb.com? :cool:

Ive seen these before with the V8's but this is a 4.0 sohc.

I've never seen an Explorer Sport with a V8. Only the 4-doors could have had a V8, as far as I know.

He was referring to the auto 4wd selection not the v8, and he was thinking about the AWD v8. He got it clarified a few posts down.

Sports from 01-03 have that setup on them. They also use a completely different version of the 44-05 transfer case as well... The control system is entirely different too...

Sport-Tracs use the same setup IIRC...

-Joe

Back