Looking for some performance products to upgrade my Explorer... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for some performance products to upgrade my Explorer...

Todd82TA

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 4x2
Hey guys... don't know if I've mentioned yet (I'm more of a lurker) but I donated my 2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2-door to a 16-year old with straight-As in the neighborhood nearby. The kid has over 200k miles on the original engine (he got it from me with 186k miles) and still runs, never smokes.

Anyway, I recently got a 2009 Ford Explorer XLT w/ 52k miles in immaculate shape. I really like this car, but it feels a bit slower than my old Sport for a couple of reasons... 1, it's bigger, 2. differential I assume is a different gear, 3. TBW, and some other stuff.

Either way, I'd really like to upgrade my new Explorer and get a bit more performance out of it. My primary goal is for the vehicle to run more efficiently, which means more horsepower and less fuel consumption doing the same thing it would do previously.

Some things I'm considering:

Shorty Headers / Headers: I see a bunch of headers available on eBay, and oddly enough... absolutely none on Summit Racing. Anyone know what's a good set to buy? I'm looking for something that is "direct fit" so I don't have to cut and weld... I literally just want to bolt stuff on so I can get rid of the big cast iron logs.

Higher CFM Catalytic Converters: Are there any kits that offer higher-flowing cats? I purchased the "Direct-Fit" Magnaflow cats for my Pontiac Solstice back in the day, and also for my 02 Crown Victoria, and for my 02 Explorer years ago and they were excellent... but seeing as how they are 50-state legal now (at least the one for the Explorer, I'm not sure they are any more free-flowing than the stock ones (which are still perfect).

Intake Modifications: Any improved aftermarket intake plenums / manifolds? Just looking to improve airflow to minimize resistance. Also any intake upgrades. Not looking for a cold air intake, but just something that flows better. Are some years better than others? For example, in my 2002 Crown Victoria LX, I swapped in a Mercury Marauder air box with 2004 Police intake tube and an 80mm MAF / Mass Airflow Sensor, then reflashed the ECM to get more power and better efficiency. Looking for something similar. I know they made a V8 version of this Explorer (must be pretty awesome), so can I literally swap the intake tube and air box from that? Are they essentially the same with just slightly larger diameter intake?

Thanks guys! Really appreciate any advice. I'm new to this platform. I just want to be clear, I'm pretty experienced working on cars. I've rebuilt several engines, both modern and vintage, rebuilt a couple of transverse and longitudinal turbo hydromatics (sorry, I was a GM guy for a long time), can weld, paint, etc. Just don't want you guys to think I'm coming on here looking for bolt-ons for a ricer and that I plan to race my Ford Explorer or something, hahah...

I just want improved performance and improved efficiency, and less concerned about cost and more concerned about getting the vehicle to drive as it should if the engineers weren't restricted as much by cost-cutting measures.

Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yeah, this is a picture of my Explorer...

2009_Ford-Explorer-Sport.jpg

Unfortunately ford didnt leave a ton of power on the table with the 4.0 in these rigs. JBA makes a set of headers that is direct fit, and brenspeed has custom tunes on an SCT X4 tuner. The tune especially has a way of making a vehicle "feel" more sporty. faster throttle response/transmission shifting and such.

I had a custom tune done on my 2003 4.6L, and it was the SINGLE best mod I ever spent money on.

Unfortunately ford didnt leave a ton of power on the table with the 4.0 in these rigs. JBA makes a set of headers that is direct fit, and brenspeed has custom tunes on an SCT X4 tuner. The tune especially has a way of making a vehicle "feel" more sporty. faster throttle response/transmission shifting and such.

I had a custom tune done on my 2003 4.6L, and it was the SINGLE best mod I ever spent money on.

Awesome, thank you. I had an SCT Tune done by Blue Oval Chips on my 2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX, and the thing will literally burn the rubber off on my 16" unlimited slip 2.73:1 rear wheel unless I lift up off the gas. It's hilarious... shift is so hard it'll throw you into the back seat. But when I'm feeling fat and lazy... I can just cruise around and the shifts are smooth and the car isn't loud at all... so I can attest! Are there any good "pre-canned" custom tunes that some of the good tuners out there sell for the SCT or Xcalibrators?

Do you happen to have a link for the JBA headers? Is that the JBA Headers #1674SJT / JBA 1674SJT: JBA 1674SJT Headers 00-07 Ranger/Expl 4.0L Sohc Titanium Ceramic

It says good up through 07, but mine is an 09. Is there anything about my 09 that makes it possibly incompatible?

Thanks!

Awesome, thank you. I had an SCT Tune done by Blue Oval Chips on my 2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX, and the thing will literally burn the rubber off on my 16" unlimited slip 2.73:1 rear wheel unless I lift up off the gas. It's hilarious... shift is so hard it'll throw you into the back seat. But when I'm feeling fat and lazy... I can just cruise around and the shifts are smooth and the car isn't loud at all... so I can attest! Are there any good "pre-canned" custom tunes that some of the good tuners out there sell for the SCT or Xcalibrators?

Do you happen to have a link for the JBA headers? Is that the JBA Headers #1674SJT / JBA 1674SJT: JBA 1674SJT Headers 00-07 Ranger/Expl 4.0L Sohc Titanium Ceramic

It says good up through 07, but mine is an 09. Is there anything about my 09 that makes it possibly incompatible?

Thanks!

From the JBA website, these are good from the entire 4.0 line from 97 to 2011.

And Brenspeed does slightly custom calibrated explorer tunes, as far as I know they are the only shop that officially offers custom canned tunes at the moment. They are also the guys who made a custom 500Hp super charger kit for the 3v v8 engine'd explorers.

Supercharge it baby

Back