Need advice purchasing an Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need advice purchasing an Explorer

Free_Radical

Reaction score
City, State
St.Pete, Florida
Hello, I'm a new member that does not own an Explorer yet but is looking to get one. My wife and I need a vehicle for towing a camper, and since we own and love our Crown Victoria we are wanting to get another Ford. However, after some research it seems the Explorers have some issues and I have read some horror stories (rear end) but have also read raving reviews. I was hoping to get some more feedback so decided to join the forum.

We are trying to decide between a Explorer or Sport Trac. I guess my initial question would be what are the main differences between them mechanically, and in your opinions which is the best year/trim and what problems to look for. I really love the 4.6 in our Vic, so opinions on the 4.0 vs. 4.6 would be great too.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

watch out for the 02's. idk if it is the same with the sport trac but 02's seem to have alot of problems. my 02 has had sooooo many problems its not even worth it anymore.

2003 or 2005 4.6L v8 would be my suggestion.

Consumer reports reliability ratings are best in those two years. I love my 03' and test drove some 4.0L EX's and I am extremely happy I decided to go with the bigger engine.

I would defiantly go with the V8 for towing, what is your budget for one?

2003 or 2005 4.6L v8 would be my suggestion.

Consumer reports reliability ratings are best in those two years. I love my 03' and test drove some 4.0L EX's and I am extremely happy I decided to go with the bigger engine.

That's odd that '04 is skipped over, any reason?

I would defiantly go with the V8 for towing, what is your budget for one?

My budget is right around 10k, there are a lot of nice Explorers and Sport tracs in that range. Unfotunately, I can't afford a 06+ Sport Trac since that's when Ford offered the 4.6, If I go with a ST in my price range I'll have to settle for the 4.0.....Not like it's a bad thing though. I don't plan on getting a huge camper, just a pop up.

02 Will have u runing circles stay away from em!!!!

The '02 is where they became 3rd Gen explorers. In general I steer away from any new line of vehicle. A good rule to live by in my opinion is to never buy the first year of any production or major over haul.

...and keep in mind that forums are mainly based to assist people in fixing issues, problems, or modifications. The stories you read on here are not necessarily indicitive of the actual performance of the vehicles.

I owned a 2003, and loved it. Awesome vehicle. I stayed away from the 2002's mainly for the "first year of a major overhaul" thing, but I know 5 people that have them, all over 100k, none have had transmission or rear end issues. Not to say that they don't exist, but only that there are a lot more vehicles on the road doing good service, than those that are dead on the side of the road...

You'll love your new Ex... I'd get the regular Explorer- the Trac's are cool, but for camping and such, I think you'd find the extra dry cargo space very valuable.

I bought a 02 eddie bauer awd explorer with 75000 miles on it and 10,000 miles later and a unusually cold Alaskan winter it has been awesome. I haven't spent a dime on repairs at all. Only money spent on it is for gas and fluids. I love it.

People will say stay away from the '02s due to some first year issues, and even though my 2002 V8 AWD Limited (fully loaded) bought new, is now at over 100K miles with no significant issues (actually the most reliable and cheapest maintenance vehicle I have ever owned) you might want to avoid an '02 to be safe.

I would be very careful about using an Ex to tow, due to the well known tranny issues, or be prepared to add an aux tranny oil coller and temp. gage, and do not get one with an unknown or poor service history, particularly involving the tranny. I would certainly make sure than any Ex worth considering came with the towing package originally, or was backfitted to the same spec. Plus I would get the 4.6 V8 for sure.

Lots of good ones out there on the market, so you can be picky and take your time. Good Luck, hope you get a good one.:thumbsup:

The '02 is where they became 3rd Gen explorers. In general I steer away from any new line of vehicle. A good rule to live by in my opinion is to never buy the first year of any production or major over haul.

Except the Mazda 3, the first one was the best one.

PSSt, to the OP... Buy something else.

I would go with an 03 xlt v8, you can definatly find a low mileage v8 in thaqt range, probably one with a warranty too.

OK, I just bought an '02 after having a trans shop carefully check it out. i trust them as they rebuilt a trans for me, very well five years ago. Have all the prior owners reciepts now. It has 115,000.

Seems like it had a lot of rear end troubles. Rear hubs one time, seals and an axel another, then rear bearings just recently. Also, all brake pads and rotors were replace earlier in it's life.

Is this normal & am I in a money pit like it sounds? This one had it's trans replaced @ 65,000 miles too. That's why I had it checked out first. This bearing / hub stuff just a freak, or normal problem?

So what's the problem with the transmissions? Which trans does Ford use, is it the same one, or different through the years?

I'm wondering if it's the same 4R70W that's in my Crown Vic.

[edit] Hmmm, looks like the '03 Ex has the 5R55W, and the '04 has a 5R55S.....I wonder what the difference is and why the '04 has issues.

OK, I just bought an '02 after having a trans shop carefully check it out. i trust them as they rebuilt a trans for me, very well five years ago. Have all the prior owners reciepts now. It has 115,000.

Seems like it had a lot of rear end troubles. Rear hubs one time, seals and an axel another, then rear bearings just recently. Also, all brake pads and rotors were replace earlier in it's life.

Is this normal & am I in a money pit like it sounds? This one had it's trans replaced @ 65,000 miles too. That's why I had it checked out first. This bearing / hub stuff just a freak, or normal problem?

Many have had problems with the rear differentials, and rear hub bearings have been known to require replacement. Replacing the rear brake pads and rotors is not unexpected in 115K miles. Hopefully the rear end problems have been exorcised in yours. Best of luck. How much did it set you back?

The 2002 have been reported that the factory used the wrong Transmission fluids.

Which is the Major Cause for Transmission failures...?

The only good advice to you is that if you happen come across an 02, Have all your fluids replaced.
I don't Understand what is the reason FORD did not choose to install a Dip Stick.

This Is CRAZY.

Its like want you to overlook this problem..?

My best advise to you is 05's but then again stay on top of your transmission.

Every explorer has this defect!

My personal opinion the factory has not made any kind of effort to address this issue.

Contact me if you have any other questions?

Jesse

Back