Looking to purchase 2002 V8 Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking to purchase 2002 V8 Limited

ragtopjr

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
I am currently considering the purchase of a white 2002 V8 Limited with Auto Trac 4X4.

The vehicle has roughly 105000 miles on it, with the majority of them highway.

This is a One Owner vehicle and to the best of my knowledge never been crashed.

Is there anything I need to look for, or are there any problems specific to this vehicle I need to be aware of.

Price is about $13000.00 canadian.

I have never had a lot to do with Explorers and dont know their strength's and weaknesses.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Obviously I was wrong when I thought an explorer board was like the Mustang boards I have been frequenting for the last 10 years.

20 views and not a response?:thumbdwn:

Is there nobody on this board that has any information on the weaknesses and strength's of the 02 Explorer?:rolleyes:

I had first tried posting this in the Technicians corner which I have to assume the moderation team instead of moving it to the correct forum it was just discarded.:mad:

I have read some of the posts here and wonder why there has been no response to this one.

So far my first impression is less then impressive, :( would anyone care to try and change my mind?

I am quite interested in this truck, I just want to go to the source and see how they handle the real world, and this forum seems to be the biggest Explorer forum out there.

Hopefully you guys can shed some light on this truck for me.

Thanks

Don't know about the v8 and have limited experience (I've only owned my for a few months) but the problem I have had is the rear end. If you test drive it and there is a noticible whine between 50 and 60 mph, that goes away when you let off the gas, it's got at least one problem. It will require a new rear end or a rear end rebuild.

If it's got the towing package with the Limited Slip rear end, look for a noticeable vibration at low speeds, mainly while turning from a stop. This will indicate need for new clutch packs in the LS soon. Friction modifier in the diff oil will help some, but I don't think it's a fix.

It may also have the same recall for the rear glass lift mechanism, it might fall on your head. But the dealership should take care of that under recall.

I have heard of front and rear axle seals going out, but I don't know the specifics.

I don't know how 13000 canadian compares to US dollars, but I don't think I would pay more than $10000 US for it if it's got that high mileage. Probably even less.

Just poke around here in the stock 02 to 05 forum and check out other people's problems.

Hope this helps.

The 2002 model year is rumored (substantiated?) to have more reliability issues than later years. I have a 2003 so I don't have any first hand experience. However, it is typical that first year models are less reliable. I've been very happy with my '03 Ltd V8 AWD.

Strengths:
- Towing capacity
- Precise steering
- Minimal body roll for a truck-based SUV
- Strong brakes, short stopping distance
- V8 has good power
- Smooth ride on highway
- Roomy; seating for up to 7

Weaknesses:
- Guzzles gas (about 12mpg city; best mpg to date was 18.8 on hwy)
- Seat could be softer and have better lumbar support

Nits:
- Tough to see radio display when auto headlights turn on during the day
- Water drips between liftgate and roof into interior when liftgate opened during rain
- Heated seats while adequate have only one setting which is not "High"
- To load a new CD you have to <Eject><#toEject><wait><Load><#toLoad><insertCD>. Any half intelligent radio would automatically eject the existing CD when you attempt to Load rather than tell you to press eject first.

first of all let me say that these are great trucks. iv'e been a chevy guy all my life and swore that i'd never own a ford. when the time came for me to buy another truck, i saw my x sitting on the lot, took it for a test drive and i was sold. that being said i wish that i'd have known that it was a first year model because it does seem that the 02's have some reliability issues. it seems that the timing chain "slapping" is a given. i know of people that have had their trannys and rear ends replaced before they hit 80k miles. i agree with what IN THE SHADOWS posted and i would definately not pay any more than 10k american because of the milage factor alone. at 100k+ that thing could become very expensive at any moment. if the price is right and your mechanic says everything looks good, i'd go for it. if not, check out the '03s. i can also tell you that when it's time for me to get rid of mine, i'm gonna get another one (or an aviator) and i've never bought the same vehicle twice. thats how much i love this truck................good luck!

Biggie Boy... I have the timing chain slap on mine. Do you know anything about it? I can't get an answer one way or another if this is just an annoyance, or if I will need to look into getting it fixed.

Thanks

I bought my 2002 AWD V8 Completely loaded new in 2002. Now at about 76K miles. Only issues to date have been relatively minor, with the possible exception o the front wheel bearings just a few K miles ago (fixed myself in a couple of hours). I have put a battery, new tires, and fluids, but that's about it. Does not get great gas mileage, but it is what it is.

There is some data out there that the trannies may not be very long-lasting, but so far so good for mine.

I missed out on it

I thank you all for your advice, I think I messed up and let the 2002 get away :(

I dont know if that was good or not, I was very concerned about the mileage on the truck and the possibility of big $ repairs at any time.

It did have everything I wanted for options, however at this point it really doesnt matter.

I will continue to look for something similiar perhaps even be better (Sunroof).

Thanks for all your comments!:thumbsup:

Back