Looking to Purchase my first FPIU

RollinRivers

Reaction score
City, State
Tecumseh, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer PIU 3.5 AWD
Hello everyone,

I am looking at purchasing my first ever FPIU. I am from Canada, so the picks for FPIU's are slim. I have found a 2018 FPIU 3.5L Ecoboost with 96,104 kilometers and 11,000 engine hours followed by 7,999 idle hours. I apologize for having to ask people to convert these to miles and so forth.

I have calculated the idle hours basing it off of 33 miles/per hour and converted this to equal 520,051 kilometers total on the vehicle. I have compared this to various 2017 and 2018 FPIU's here and this it the lowest one I have found. The dealership is asking $19,000 Canadian Dollars for this vehicle. I have been told it was owned by a government power company and never used in the police force ever, it was used for security purposes hence the large idle hours and not mileages/kilometers.

It does come with a center console outfitted with red and white visor mounted flashers, rear spoiler flashers in red and white, a siren, and the drivers side LED spotlight. It does have a rear partition from the back seats to the trunk with a storage drawer slider.

Is this a good deal or not? I have test driven it and it felt good on the road, no harsh noises from the moving parts or engine. The dealership was told that this vehicle was maintenanced really well, due to it being a government owned vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE

Vehicle needed $5600.00 in repairs to make it safe for road use. The technician wasn't even done when he gave me this estimate.

Safe to say, I didn't go through with it.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have any ideas what the repairs were?

Peter

It was ball joints, tie rods, control arms and rear brakes. He didn't even get to the engine at the point when he reached 5695 dollars. So it's not been well maintained he said.

I don't know if that is that unusual for some of the parts given the mileage you stated. At least those would be items that you shouldn't have to be concerned about for a while. As for the engine, the 5th gen Explorer has an internal water pump that has been an issue for some. If it begins to leak and it's not caught in time, it could leak coolant into the engine and possibly ruin it if it goes on long enough.
At least they seem to be going over the vehicle to ensure it will pass a vehicle inspection but as with any vehicle, used or new, anything can break down.
I have no idea as to the price that was quoted. I've been leasing my vehicles.

Peter

No! Overpriced for what needed to be done! If you were able to get it for maybe $8-9k, it'd still probably not be worth it! And those parts for suspension are typically worn out, I've had to replace mine. Don't forget that water pump! That'll likely make it almost $10,000 in repairs total.

You guys would pay $10k for those repairs??

I don't know if that is that unusual for some of the parts given the mileage you stated. At least those would be items that you shouldn't have to be concerned about for a while. As for the engine, the 5th gen Explorer has an internal water pump that has been an issue for some. If it begins to leak and it's not caught in time, it could leak coolant into the engine and possibly ruin it if it goes on long enough.
At least they seem to be going over the vehicle to ensure it will pass a vehicle inspection but as with any vehicle, used or new, anything can break down.
I have no idea as to the price that was quoted. I've been leasing my vehicles.

Peter
I disagree, for a police vehicle bought from a department that’s odd, normally they maintained and where they should be service schedule wise

Or they are clearly wrecked and normally marked as such

I’d look on ironplanet

Back