• Register Today It's free!

Loose Ball Joint?

Pollarican

Reaction score
City, State
Wall Township, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 EB 4dr
I have a 1991 EB and it seems to be shaking a bit around 65 mph. I have had a bit of a problem with vibration at highway speed for some time, but I figured it was due to my worn out passenger Radius Arm Bushing. Today I jacked up the car and tried shaking my wheels to make sure no bearings were loose, and it looks like my passenger ball joint is loose. I have had experience seperating ball joints before to replace CV axles, but my question is can I tighten the joint and have it ride safely/sufficently for a 4 hour drive? I can probably get ahold of a new ball joint and possibly put it in if needed, but I am kind of pressed for time.

If you can notice that your ball joint is loose by merely shaking the wheel with it jacked up, I would suggest you replace it right away...

I don't like rolling the dice when it comes to brakes and steering, once something bad happens it's too late to change your mind.

C.

There is no tightening method to this. It's not the nut to knuckle that is loose, it's the inner workings of teh Balljoint that is loose.

Did the tire move in the up and down motion or side to side? Up and down would be Ball joint. bothe side to side and up and down might be a loose Spindle nut. That can cause a shimmy too.

Back