• Register Today It's free!

Loose steering issues

BullFish

Reaction score
City, State
Brighton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport 4x4
Hey Guys! Wondering if anyone has any input on my problem. The steering is loose on my 2001 Explorer Sport 4x4. Let me tell you its lifted 4 suspension, 3 body, on 35 TSL's. I rebuilt the entire front end last year which included a new rack, tie rods (inner and outer), ball joints (upper and lower). The problem looks to be that the steering shaft is moving quite a bit in an arc as it passes thru the firewall. I cannot see a bushing there, but that seems to be where all of my slack is coming from. Am I crazy, or is there something at the firewall that is supposed to support the steering shaft itself?

Thanks guys, I love my truck and the family loves to wheeling with me. Just want to make it a bit more driveable.

Fish

There's no center support for the shaft. Most likely the looseness is in the lower shaft where it bolts to the rack. It just rides through the boot there.

My '95 had the same problem, and I just swapped in a complete 2003 Sport assembly in. no more slack in the steering, even with nearly 300k on the factory rack.

Back