Loss of 4WD+Engine Running Rough=Vacuum problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loss of 4WD+Engine Running Rough=Vacuum problem?

wrsergeant000

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer Sport
I was driving my '95 Explorer Sport home on the Interstate yesterday when about half-way home, the 4WD lights were flashing in sequence even though I was in 2WD. Got home, shut off the vehicle and decided to look at it in the morning since it was rather late. Woke up, went to the garage, and started up the truck only to find that the lights were not flashing anymore. Didn't think it was much of an issue until I was getting off the Interstate going into work and as I slowed down on the off ramp, my engine started to run rough. Got to work, parked it, and came back out at the end of my shift to turn it on and to find it still running rough and that the 4WD lights were again flashing. Got back home (On the backroads) today and parked it until I can get everything fixed on it. I've been reading around and finding that several people say that it may be a vacuum issue, but I'm unfamiliar with the vacuum system as a whole and need a little guidance (pictures even?) to figure out where the hoses are coming from and where they are supposed to be connected on the transfer case.

Well I'm not much help when it comes to Explorers but if the ex's are anything like the F-150 there is a little vacuum canister (looks like a flying saucer) mounted on the front diff. It engages and disengages the front diff. If you follow those vacuum lines they run up to two solenoids with electrical connectors on them and then I believe to the intake manifold.

Trace those lines and I bet you will find a leak somewhere. A bad enough vacuum leak will cause the engine to run rough because the engine is getting incoming air that is not being read by the MAF.

Just an update.... Doesn't seem to be a vacuum problem, but with winter fast approaching, I still need to get this fixed and don't want to spend gobs of cash guessing at what the problem is. Now it is clicking at speeds up to 15-20mph regardless of the lights flashing. I have tried shifting whenever I start it and there are no lights flashing, but still no cigar. Got any ideas? The engine problem is fixed as well.

Back