Lost shocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lost shocks

rollinstone

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Well, I really didn't lose them, but sumpin' ain't right. About 500 miles into a camping trip towing a 3100 lb trailer I noticed my Ex slumping to the left. I just thot it was because I was not used to towing a trailer that far (what was to become a 1500 mile trip).

When I got home while cleaning up I noticed that for sure the left side was leaning 1" to 1 1/2" to the left along the longitudinal axis.

I measured both left and right shocks (Monroes that have been on there about 10 years) and the left ones are compressed about that same distance compared to the right shocks.

So it seems the left shocks are outta whack, but why just the left? If it was the trailer weight I would have expected equal compression/failure on all four...if, in fact they HAVE failed.

While we're at it, if we agree that it's time for replacement, what should I consider as replacements, factoring in the occasional trailer towing? The tongue weight is well within limits...I can go up to 600 lbs and I'm about 350 lbs loaded.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably broke a spring or shackle on the shorter side...either that or the upper shock mount rusted away on the longer side

Bill

your shocks have nothing to do with ride height. the gangsta lean to the left is pretty common on older ex's. a bent/broken spring is usually the cause.

Back