Lots of Q's for smart brains: shiftplus, trans filter & guages | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lots of Q's for smart brains: shiftplus, trans filter & guages

MeatyCrab

Reaction score
City, State
Perth, Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
So, I've got a whole heap of toys to install into the Explorer.

Of course, with lots of toys, comes lots of Q's, which my tiny brain has become overwhelmed by...

Vehicle: 1998 SOHC 5sp

List of gadgets:
B&M shiftplus module
Aux. tranny filter
A/F guage
Tranny temp guage
Vacuum guage

Problems/queries that accompany:
Installed the B7M module with little fuss. I understand how the device works, but when I'm driving, it shifts really hard, sort of jolting the car a bit. Is this normal? The device is installed correctly, and the 3 different settings are very obvious. Also, when I'm in setting I (or II), I can hear a whiny sound coming from under the car...it's only very slight, but then it goes away when switched to OFF.

Now come guage questions. I bought the tranny temp guage assuming I would hook it up to the tranny filter, however, the probe is too big for the sender hole on the filter unit. So now I have to intall directly into the tranny pan. Any idea where? I'd love a pic.

With the vacuum guage, where is the line that need to splice located? Again, pics would be great.

And finally, with the A/F meter, which line and where is it that I must tap into? Can I do it from the the PCM unit?

I hope some of you can help with any or all of these Q's.

Cheers,
BK

Found out which line I need for the A/F guage from Autometer (pin 60 or 87)

Hope this helps others,
BK

Originally posted by MeatyCrab
Now come guage questions. I bought the tranny temp guage assuming I would hook it up to the tranny filter, however, the probe is too big for the sender hole on the filter unit. So now I have to intall directly into the tranny pan. Any idea where? I'd love a pic.
You will need to install it anywhere in the side of the pan. Make sure to keep it as far from the exhaust as possible (to avoid false readings) and be sure to drill the hole so the sending unit is not touching the bottom of the pan.

With the vacuum guage, where is the line that need to splice located? Again, pics would be great.
Any constant vacuum sorce will work. Look under the hood for a easily accesed line, cut it, put in a vacuum T and hook up the guage.

I beleive the remote tranny filter should have a spot for the temperature sender. With the SOHC, finding a place in the pan away from the exhuast is near impossible since the exhuast runs underneath the tranny.

Back