• Register Today It's free!

lots of tranny trashing

samhain

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 sport ohc
just traded my 91 sport for a 99 sport. My first auto tranny in an X.
Everyone trashes the trannies in these trucks, I ve read that someone has replaced 4 of them already. :eek: Does anyone make a bullet proof tranny for the X or at least rebuilds them with some strong ass parts for wheelin.
Jeepers have been doing it for years! Whats the deal. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, for answering before this post drops into oblivion.

Welcome samhain.
X trannies respond to maint. If your gonna offroad it changing filter & 4 or 5 qts. of fluid a year is cheap insurance againsted failure and a good practice regardless.
"Oblivion" here is the "Unanswered Threads" section. You get a second chance anyway....
Stop back soon.

Thanks,
I just got this 99 sport and I want to go with synth. Does the 99 auto have a drain or do i drop the pan. Better yet I should take this to the driveline forum. :D

A cooler / filter combo won't hurt either.
I have a B&M cooler and a Perma-Cool remote filter.

My A4LD Rebuild Diary is all about "bulletproofing" (to the extent possible) these transmissions. A4LD morfed into the A4LDE, then the 4R44E and 4R55E... some more significant changes came along in the 5R55E, but they are all cousins under the skin. Simplest ideas ? External filter (spin on) and a BIG cooler - think 16,000 GVW upwards. Those two things alone, with a fluid flush at recommended intervals (not a change, a flush) and you may just do fine, without anything more.

I ve read that someone has replaced 4 of them already.
that would be me. This is in less than 2 years. DO the 700r4 swap if you want tough.

My husband is on his 4th transmission-original plus 3 replacements with 330,000 miles on his 95EB. This current one's lasted the longest using Amsoil synthetic fluid. This one is having a problem that is different than the previous failures. This time it's slipping between 1-2 or 2-3 (I can't remember) but still driveable since August like this. Before it has always been the same symptons of failure--a clunk, then O/D blinking--band breaks.

I can't agree with the comment about transmission maintenance. It doesn't seem to make a difference. My daughter, trying to avoid repeating our transmission problems, had her transmission fluid power flushed around 80K. Hers went out shortly afterward--clunk and O/D light flashing. Her's is a 97XLT and she had no access to mechanic friends so it cost her ~$2000.

My husband, who takes meticulous care of his EB, had his original transmission fluid changed at 50K. He no longer feels strongly about changing fluid on the EXP transmissions after these experiences.

I am watching Glacier's transmission rebuilt posts with great interest. Thanks-you are very generous!

We have got our rebuilt transmissions from Fort Dodge (Iowa) transmissions. They offer an awesome warranty if you pay extra.

I just got this 99 sport and I want to go with synth. Does the 99 auto have a drain or do i drop the pan.
Samhain, no, unfortunately there's no drain plug in the 5R55E. And when you change the fluid, make sure you go with an ATF that's "Mercon V" rated. That's what's specified by Ford for this transmission.

Yea, Thanks for all the info guys, :) (and gals). Already got the Merc V and filter, gasket set. Im going on an 800mile journey 5 days after buying my X. Im just trying to take it easy on this auto. I havent drove an auto tranny since I was 16.
The truck seem realy tight, no slipping or any problems of any kind. Im just freaked out after reading horror stories of the X tranny

Back