Loud humming noise turning left between 10-15 mph | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud humming noise turning left between 10-15 mph

clcarfizzi93

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2008 4.0 v6 4x4 eddie bauer explorer. So. I think it might be my wheel bearing, but I've been told it could be my camber being off and making my brakes rub, or tires being unbalanced, all I know is, it makes a very loud humming/almost grinding noise turning left (not with the wheel cut all the way) at low speeds between 10-15 mph. Anyone know what it might be? Personally, I think it's the bearing. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it? How much did it cost? I'm mechanically inclined and I can do most work by myself. Any advice would be appreciated!

Mine does the same thing! It's driving me crazy because usually its only in a roundabout but it sounds horrible and sounds like its doing damage. Anyone know what this could be ???

These sounds are usually bearings going bad. If you can get it up on a lift and check for play in the wheels and spin them to see if you can tell which is bad. There really is no telling which will go bad or when. Fronts seem to go bad more commonly (and quickly) than the rears. My first set of bearings ran to almost 100k. The new set had a bad front after 40k - and this was on Motorcraft (supposedly) units.

In general - fronts are expensive parts, but labor is low - and you can reverse that for the rears.

You didn't mention mileage but it sounds like front wheelbearings, jack it up and check for play if it has play it is definately bad but they can make noise and still be tight. If it is close to 100,000 miles you might as well replace both front bearings as that is usually the life of them. The hub assemblies bolt in from the back side of spindle. You will have to remove the brake caliper and rotor and remove the nut from axle, then unbolt hub assembly and remove.

Back