loud noise in every gear and at any rolling pace | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

loud noise in every gear and at any rolling pace

OFG

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Junction Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 sport
My 99 sport is making a terrible whine or sqeal when rolling. I can roll up slowly, in neutral, and it whines untill the speed drops to about 2 mph, then goes away. The noise starts in first gear at about 2 or 3 mph and continues in all gears, and is worse when its cold outside. When the vehicle is thoughroughly warmed up, it seems to be much quieter. This is a 5 spd ohv, only 59k. The noise is now loud enough as to cause people to rubberneck when I roll up. Gets louder when I drive near a median, so I think its deffinately coming from underside. I searched this site and found many threads on whing noises, but none seem to be under the same circumstances as this. Seems like I may have read something about wheel bearings, wheel bearing dust seals, tranny bearings... Its not the brakes, but sounds just like brake squeal, not engine related. The noise is driving me nuts and and Im worried its something that may lead to damage.

I have something similar to this. But with the T-case on "AUTO", I only hear the sound at higher speeds (higher than 15-20 mph). However, when i switch to "4WD-LO", I can hear the whine at very low speeds (> 3mph).

Back