Love my Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Love my Explorer

onestout

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015, Explorer XLT 3.5
2015 Explorer and just did my 110,000 mile oil change (I change oil every 10k) and I just love this thing, simple to work on, has needed very little done to it. The rust will start creeping in this year or next but I plan to run this thing into the ground. Just replaced the original tires (I run winter tires so only about 70k on the factory tires) and they should be the last set I need for it. I changed the plugs at 100k and basically no wear on them.....maybe .003-4 so really didn't need them, not much buildup on the valves.....overall it has been a great vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

10k oil change interval is about as extreme as it gets. I would think about doing them sooner as the mileage goes up. These cars are rewarding if maintained properly.
My last oil analysis said I had another 3-4k left on my oil so I am currently using about 70% of it's life when I change it. The 3.5 ecoboost in my truck is close to end of life because over 50% of my mileage there is towing but even that is still good to 10k miles.

Just hope the water pump holds up.

Peter

Just hope the water pump holds up.

Pete
yes, the sky is falling and the world will end some day also....internet hype makes a .5% failure rate sound more like an 80% failure rate..... how many people start a post like I did to say they have a good vehicle vs. how many start a post to say they have a problem?

yes, the sky is falling and the world will end some day also....internet hype makes a .5% failure rate sound more like an 80% failure rate..... how many people start a post like I did to say they have a good vehicle vs. how many start a post to say they have a problem?
I have a very good vehicle. :)

Changing oil more frequently increases chance of spotting a water pump failure (end sarcasm) 😂

It's not a worry if your coolant is topped and you keep a thorough eye on the weep hole area around the alternator. A routine inspection of this area is always good idea. Same with the PTU vent (check for puke 🤮)

Changing oil more frequently increases chance of spotting a water pump failure (end sarcasm) 😂

It's not a worry if your coolant is topped and you keep a thorough eye on the weep hole area around the alternator. A routine inspection of this area is always good idea. Same with the PTU vent (check for puke 🤮)
And for those of us not so mechanically inclined, where are these areas again?

This thread actually got me thinking....I used to buy Cadillac's with bad headgaskets and fix/run those, that was the issue they had from 1981 to 2005.....but the later ones had a coolant level light in them to tell you when the coolant level was low.....has anyone installed one of those in their Ex? For under $100 and a little time you could have a light that tells you if you are losing any coolant. I think I will do this since I plan to keep it.

There already is a coolant level sensor but a water pump failure in its early stage will not leak enough to trigger the sensor. The weep hole is exactly what it sounds like... Coolant does not just pour out of it. Its a very slow drip that's why it's best to inspect routinely.

There already is a coolant level sensor but a water pump failure in its early stage will not leak enough to trigger the sensor. The weep hole is exactly what it sounds like... Coolant does not just pour out of it. Its a very slow drip that's why it's best to inspect routinely.
My reservoir doesn't have a sensor in it so I am going to look into adding something.....I see there is one in another thread that someone installed, I replied to see how it is working and what he used for a light.

The weep hole is best checked under neath the car. Here is what it looks like if its leaking: Google Image Result for https://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2019/04/24/09/50/pic-4573138720877456250-1600x1200.jpeg

The PTU vent is tricky to see but can but done from up top. If there is oil / dark residue around the vent its a sign of overheating. Here is pic of location: Google Image Result for https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachments/b20fdfff-23ad-4d9e-84a8-1d51cfff23dd-jpg.153134/
Thanks!

Back