Low Battery...Accessories Shutting Down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low Battery...Accessories Shutting Down

DeLeSaAZ

Beasley, the chauffeur of my previous Edge.
Reaction score
City, State
Queen Creek, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
I had an interesting issue a few days ago that I've never seen before - car computers are getting very Star Trek-ish!

I've noticed the last few weeks that my 1 year old '16 Explorer Limited has sometimes taken more cranks than usual to turn over with the push button start. I'll admit, I was working on the car for hours 2 weeks ago and the doors were open leaving the interior lights on. Of course, the computer would time them out after 10-15 minutes (that's a nice feature that was added quite some time ago) but I was opening and closing doors regularly so they were on and off for hours. I had to go to work after doing that work and, since it barely started upon leaving, I left the engine running with everything off while at work for 30 minutes or so (double honk!) to allow it to charge up.

Every now and then, it still cranks hard - and Monday when I drove to work, I was plugging my radar detector into the cig lighter (are they still called that?) (I don't have the detector hard wired yet) and it turned on - then it was off. Sometimes the power port is loose and I have to twist it a bit. So I'm driving for 5 minutes, fiddling with the thing, wondering why it won't turn on - and I FINALLY noticed on the left LED of the speedometer a warning box that said something very similar to "BATTERY LOW: Accessory Power Being Shut Down". I looked, and sure enough, my fog lamps had shut off, dome lights, can't tell you what else was all off. Surprisingly, the A/C and radio were still on - but from concern that I'd be stranded at work IF I got there, I shut off everything but the headlights! Once again at work, I left the car running for awhile to recharge.

I took the car to the Ford dealer Tuesday night and left it with them, In the meantime, that message never returned in the 24 hours since going to the dealer. Got the car back, they said the wiring to the alternator was bad, Pin #1 was bent/broken I think they said.

I thought it was brilliant enough years ago when they were able to have the car shut off dome lights or anything left on for more than X minutes. This is something straight out of Star Trek, "Reroute all auxiliary power to the warp drive, shut down all unnecessary systems!". Now, if I could just have some phasers and a few transphasic torpedoes for the freeway, we'd be all set!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never seen the message in practice, but know what you're talking about. It is fully detailed in the service manual, but essentially the car has detected the voltage below a certain level and it's trying to offload non-essential functions (a "load shed" mode by definition) to preserve the voltage.

I am however, quite shocked that the alternator had a pin problem. I was sure your battery was on the way out (like mine just went, actually!) before I read that.

^ Keep in mind that the battery saver message is a similar, but different message with different entry conditions.

(Peter, I know you realize that, but just for general consumption. :))

I've never seen the message in practice, but know what you're talking about. It is fully detailed in the service manual, but essentially the car has detected the voltage below a certain level and it's trying to offload non-essential functions (a "load shed" mode by definition) to preserve the voltage.

I am however, quite shocked that the alternator had a pin problem. I was sure your battery was on the way out (like mine just went, actually!) before I read that.
I was positive the battery was dying as well - I was totally convinced I'd pick it up the next day with a new battery. Nope. The report indicates they fully charged the battery then checked system, battery was only receiving 12.9 volts from alternator, charging system was outputting 14.2 volts so they "Load tested cables and circuits. Found Pin 1 at connector 1100A (Circuit SDC02) loose at battery terminal" verbatim from report, secured circuit and battery was receiving a normal 14.2V and charging normally. And THIS is why I always purchase the Extended Warranty when the regular is done (got awhile before that point).

I apologize that I actually reported this backwards in my first diagnosis - I said Pin 1 at the alternator was bad and it was actually from the battery. The dealer report was in the car when I first typed that so I was posting it from my old and fading memory.

Back