Possible to prolong accessory mode? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible to prolong accessory mode?

Ellocovg

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 Danger Ranger XLT
I'm a contractor so I sit in my car most days during break and lunch. I listen to the radio so I hit the start button twice which is the equivalent of turning the key once too acc mode on a non smart key car or on fords I think turning the key backwards atleast on a rental Taurus I had years ago. The car automatically shuts off what I think is every 10 minutes which gets annoying is there anyway to prolong this? I also discovered on one of these freak cold days while sitting with the heat on with the truck running for I think it was 30 minutes it starts a count down to the truck shutting itself which is a pretty cool feature.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the owners manual or settings in the radio? Gotta be some kinda way to let ACC run indefinitely. What do they expect you to do at a drive in theater?

Have you checked the owners manual or settings in the radio? Gotta be some kinda way to let ACC run indefinitely. What do they expect you to do at a drive in theater?

If the cars running it will give you a countdown before its shuts down. What I'm looking to do is acc mode where just the radio is on so its not really draining much power. Wow drive in movies they still have those things lol.

I'd be cautious about using the accessories mode after the powersave mode activates. The powersave cutoff/mode activates when the battery reaches a certain voltage to protect the battery. If you drain the battery below 10.5 volts, it will severely damage the lead acid battery (making it unable to hold a good charge). That's why police officers idle their cars instead of using something like accessories mode.

What you could do is try to wire a second battery somehow or buy a bigger battery with a larger capacity, but never drain the battery low like you would a lithium ion battery. Actually, you wouldn't even want to do that with a lithium ion battery either.

I'd be cautious about using the accessories mode after the powersave mode activates. The powersave cutoff/mode activates when the battery reaches a certain voltage to protect the battery. If you drain the battery below 10.5 volts, it will severely damage the lead acid battery (making it unable to hold a good charge). That's why police officers idle their cars instead of using something like accessories mode.

What you could do is try to wire a second battery somehow or buy a bigger battery with a larger capacity, but never drain the battery low like you would a lithium ion battery. Actually, you wouldn't even want to do that with a lithium ion battery either.

That's nuts that's it actually dips that low I've don't this in every car I've ever owned from 9-9:30 and 11:45-12:30. Everything from a Acura TL to a 92 celica with two amps subs the works to a beater 02 Lancer and have never had a battery issue.

I'm a contractor so I sit in my car most days during break and lunch. I listen to the radio so I hit the start button twice which is the equivalent of turning the key once too acc mode on a non smart key car or on fords I think turning the key backwards atleast on a rental Taurus I had years ago. The car automatically shuts off what I think is every 10 minutes which gets annoying is there anyway to prolong this? I also discovered on one of these freak cold days while sitting with the heat on with the truck running for I think it was 30 minutes it starts a count down to the truck shutting itself which is a pretty cool feature.
No need to turn the accessory mode on. Just hit the radio's ON button if you have the MFT.
From the 2016 Manual;

Note: You can operate your audio system
for up to one hour after you switch off the
ignition. Press the ON/OFF control to
operate the system with the ignition turned
off. The system automatically turns off after
one hour.

Peter

Really wow I have to try that tommorow.

No need to turn the accessory mode on. Just hit the radio's ON button if you have the MFT.
From the 2016 Manual;

Note: You can operate your audio system
for up to one hour after you switch off the
ignition. Press the ON/OFF control to
operate the system with the ignition turned
off. The system automatically turns off after
one hour.

Peter

Yup. My 2yr old son figured that one out...he likes to crawl around inside and push buttons (in the driveway of course and no key inside). I couldn't figure our how he turned it on, but a quick push of the radio button solved that riddle.

You'd have to use the radio for hours to kill the battery. And doing it once won't cause that much harm, especially if the OP has an AGM battery. I've killed my AGM who knows how many times, it still cranks the truck right up even after sitting for a few weeks.

Btw there's still drive ins lol got 2 in an hourish drive. One just over the alabama border, and another in Atlanta. I don't go to the normal theaters, cost too much. Drive in or dollar theater for me :D

The powersave mode is software activated after a fixed amount of time - not battery voltage. It's described in the manual.

Same for shutting off the engine after a parking.

You guys are awesome, wish there was a thanks button! Just tried it just hitting the power button on the radio and it eliminated my second biggest gripe about the explorer. Now what mod do you guys have for the dead pedal :eek::D thanks again!!

Back