• Register Today It's free!

Low Beams Out

Moese

Reaction score
City, State
Woodbury, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
This morning on my way to work, I turned my headlights on to find my driver's side headlight out. I turned on the brights and both worked. When I turned the brights off, the passenger side low beam went out too. High beams work, lows do not. These are new bulbs I just put in two weeks ago!

Is it the bulbs (can just the lows go out on a single lamp headlight)? Or do I am a bigger problem? Are there seperate fuses for high and low beams (stupid question I know)?

Any help appreciated.

actually, on my 95, there are 2 separate fuses. I have the Hella 500 driving lites hooked into the fuse for High BEAM, and the fogs into the 'parking lite' fuse (really it is low beam also). That way there are no switches to screw with, lights on=fogs on, hiBeam on = fogs go off driving lites come on !
And it is possible to burn out just a single filament, remember those are dual filament bulbs.
when you put them in did you clean them w/denatured alcohol, because oil from your hands will blow those in a heart beat !

I'm not sure if this is what your running into, but the first time I replaced halogen(sp?) bulbs on any of our vehicles.. they only lasted a week or so.. turns out that I didn't know that you can't touch the glass with your bare hands.. (or a dirty rag)..

You need gloves or something like that.. if you get oil (including the oil from your hands) it will get hot and can break the glass quickly

~Mark

Back