• Register Today It's free!

Low charging gauge

blakshukvw

Reaction score
City, State
K.C. mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0
So my charging gauge constantly reads below the + sign on the battery pictured in the charging gauge. Is that about where everyone else's sits? A check of the alternator shows about 13.4volts when running which is fine. It also seems that my headlights aren't quite as bright as they used to be, then again maybe the bulbs are weak or I'm just used to them now??

Also, I've had some problems with the left rear brake light/turn signal blowing. On occasion I have seen some smoke from the column when using the left turn signal. I believe it is then that the turn signal/brake light part of the bulb blows. After that part of the bulb blows, I never see the smoke from the column again. So is it bad column switch or wiring? It seems I remember a post regarding the wiring that runs under the door sill on the driver side becoming corroded over time from water from your feet. Is this how the problem manifests itself and should I be checking down there?

So my charging gauge constantly reads below the + sign on the battery pictured in the charging gauge. Is that about where everyone else's sits?

Also, I've had some problems with the left rear brake light/turn signal blowing. On occasion I have seen some smoke from the column when using the left turn signal. I believe it is then that the turn signal/brake light part of the bulb blows.

Charge gauge reading seems OK; and your voltage is fine. Don't think there is a problem.

You may have cause and effect reversed re your brake light/smoke. Check and see if the bulb socket is corroded - if it is, it might be pulling too much current and causing the connection thru the MFS in the column to smoke.

That actually makes more sense now that I think about it. Is the corrosion of the socket common? That may be my problem since I know the housing is cracked a little and it used to retain water until I drilled a drain hole in the bottom of it. That would be enough just to cause precipitation in the housing to cause the corrosion. I'll check it thanks.

Not sure what I was thinking. The turn signal and stop light bulbs are completely seperate bulbs. So the question now is do I have 2 problems or what. The holder for the taillight bulb looked like the other side, a little brown from being warm over time but the connections looked okay inside it. The wire contacts on the bulb in one spot looked as if it had shorted there because the metal was flattened.

Back