Low fuel warning

Stinger357

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Eddie
Hello all,

I noticed on my 97 eddie 4x4 SOHC that when the gas seems to be getting low the check gauge light comes on and the information center says low fuel warning...now my question is this is the check gauge light (red) coming on is that the low fuel warning light that comes on? Or is it a different issue? Typically in other cars the low fuel warning LED is yellow when it comes on. This seems to be red...can someone tell me if the 97 low fuel warning idiot light is a red check gauge light?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2000 XLT and don't even know if it has a low fuel light. I'd hate to run it low to see if anything lights up only to be stranded somewhere out of gas!

It's red because they mean it! God forbid you park facing downhill after failing to heed the red omen.

Really though you have about two gallons left in the tank if that light comes on while the vehicle is level, which gives you about 30 miles of travel. Ask me how I know... In a Mountaineer that is the Explorer might have only one gallon. On mine that is the only idiot light for gas I'm aware of.

When you don't have a message center, the only indicator is the "Check Gage" light. (Why they spelled it that way is still funny to me) So, quick answer- yes, that is the correct light. :)

Ford used that one light to warn of a number of things (e.g. high coolant temp, low oil pressure, etc) that show up on the gauges - it means to look at your gauges to see what is wrong. Supposedly, when you scan your gauges you will notice that your fuel level is low!

It's red because they mean it! God forbid you park facing downhill after failing to heed the red omen.

On my '98 Mountaineer, I parked on a steep driveway facing downhill with low fuel one time. When I came out to drive home, I had to roll it into the street to get it to start.

Good times!

Ford used that one light to warn of a number of things (e.g. high coolant temp, low oil pressure, etc) that show up on the gauges - it means to look at your gauges to see what is wrong. Supposedly, when you scan your gauges you will notice that your fuel level is low!

And that's why they call them IDIOT lights. :salute:

Back