Does the low fuel light self test at key on? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does the low fuel light self test at key on?

freak

Reaction score
City, State
Pemberville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000, Explorer XLS
I'm replacing bulbs in my dash. They're all good now but I notice that the low fuel (check gauge) light doesn't come on when the ignition is turned on. A lot of the other bulbs test at that point. I've triple checked the bulb. Is it supposed to come on with ignition on, engine off? 2000 XLS 4.0 OHV M5OD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It don't come on in my 99

It don't come on in my 99
I have never seen the light either.. Including in my friend's truck that he has ran out of gas. But I make sure not to run mine out. Mine's a 97 his is a 2000 Sport 2 door.

Here's one on YouTube:

1:24 or so is what you're looking for, but it's possible their bulb is burnt out if you can't see it when they start it up. of course they give it a hundredth of a second to be on the "ON" position before actually starting it. Possibly even quickly enough that a standard factory bulb doesn't even have time to light up. I'll keep searching

If you don't mind "ear rape" from this guy's voice and microphone, here's this video as well of another 2000, this one being a sport:

1:10 or so
He leaves the key on for a nice long time I do not see a LOW FUEL light coming on (I'd assume left, near the fuel gauge,) but do check for yourself because I've never seen one come on except in other vehicles.

When I get low on gas the check gauge light comes on
But not otherwise
I've never had the gas cap light come on

I think I got low on gas once, and not just the light but also the dinger bell came on, on my '98... either that or I'm remembering a different vehicle, but think it was the '98 Explorer.

My light definitely comes on when I'm down to about 2 gallons. At least it used to. Last time I was super low and it didn't come on. Looks like the slosh module controls it.

Back