Low oil pressure warning... new bug | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low oil pressure warning... new bug

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So my wife calls me a little over an hour ago saying it says low oil pressure. After getting a few more details this is the scenario that I can't even make sense of.

With the vehicle off, she hits the start button (not pressing the brake) in order to listen to the radio. It is at this point the left screen says the warning and the right screen has the check engine light. This only started happening today.

Once she starts the car, both go away. I called the dealer and they had my wife bring it right in. They duplicated the issue and are stumped.. why this warning pops up automatically without the vehicle running all of a sudden makes no sense.

They checked for leaks, checked the oil level, hooked up the scan tool and found nothing.

Any ideas? Oil change done a week ago, 17,000 miles on the Ex Limited.

Clearly if it is running with no warnings, seems all is ok.. but you get the idea.. WTF??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's actually normal. If the vehicle's systems (including sensors) are fully up and operational, but the vehicle isn't running, the oil pressure sensor will detect a low oil pressure (no pressure) and go off. This will trip the check engine light.

Go try it on any other vehicle and you'll likely see the same thing. My Focus and my Mach 1 behave the same way.

That's actually normal. If the vehicle's systems (including sensors) are fully up and operational, but the vehicle isn't running, the oil pressure sensor will detect a low oil pressure (no pressure) and go off. This will trip the check engine light.

Go try it on any other vehicle and you'll likely see the same thing. My Focus and my Mach 1 behave the same way.

Very woerd.. neither of us have ever noticed the low oil pressure before when the radio was just playing.. guess we just never paid attention.

That's how I would expect it to behave, for the reasons JDraper mentioned. Maybe you were just too busy enjoying your tunes to notice :)

So my wife calls me a little over an hour ago saying it says low oil pressure. After getting a few more details this is the scenario that I can't even make sense of.

With the vehicle off, she hits the start button (not pressing the brake) in order to listen to the radio. It is at this point the left screen says the warning and the right screen has the check engine light. This only started happening today.

Once she starts the car, both go away. I called the dealer and they had my wife bring it right in. They duplicated the issue and are stumped.. why this warning pops up automatically without the vehicle running all of a sudden makes no sense.

They checked for leaks, checked the oil level, hooked up the scan tool and found nothing.

Any ideas? Oil change done a week ago, 17,000 miles on the Ex Limited.

Clearly if it is running with no warnings, seems all is ok.. but you get the idea.. WTF??

I was just reading through the list of TSB's for 2011's and saw this:

11-12-7 INTERMITTENT OIL PRESSURE WARNINGS WITH KEY ON ENGINE OFF OR WHILE CRANKING - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/11/2011

Sounds exactly like what you're explaining. Apparently it's a known issue.

I was just reading through the list of TSB's for 2011's and saw this:

11-12-7 INTERMITTENT OIL PRESSURE WARNINGS WITH KEY ON ENGINE OFF OR WHILE CRANKING - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 8/11/2011

Sounds exactly like what you're explaining. Apparently it's a known issue.

Damn, thank you for that. Now can anyone post the TSB details?

I'll be printing it out and taking it to my dealer.

Where's swetrid when you need him?!

It will be interesting to see what the TSB says. Some of them are just so the dealer knows what to tell customers. On my Mach 1, they issued a TSB because they were getting complaints of the car jumping around on rutted roads. The TSB just told the dealerships to inform customers that it was because the car was fitted with wider tires it was more suceptible to movement side to side due to pavement conditions.

Here you go!
Printable View (47 KB)
TSB

Publication Date: December 16, 2011

FORD: 2011 Edge, Explorer
LINCOLN: 2011 MKX

ISSUE:
Some 2011 Edge, Explorer and MKX vehicles built on or before 8/11/2011 may exhibit intermittent oil pressure warnings with key on engine off (KOEO) or while cranking without any other oil pressure concern type symptoms.

ACTION:
Reprogram the instrument panel cluster (IPC) module to the latest calibration using IDS release 76.03 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the 2011.11 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
111207A 2011 Edge, MKX, And Explorer: Reprogram The IPC Module (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
10849 04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2011 Ford Motor Company

Back