• Register Today It's free!

Lower ball joint up/down play

manimal

Reaction score
City, State
Gig Harbor WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I replaced both wheel bearing/hub assy. on our 95 today, and noticed that both the left and right lower ball joints had some vertical play. Left side more than the right.

Could not get it by hand. Had to put a screwdriver between the knuckle and lower arm to really see it.

Front end has some light popping noise/sensation on rough/gravel roads, bad potholes. On road performance is great, still handles very tight, despite being about to roll 200k miles.

I have a full set of front susp. bushings/joints that need to go in any way, but was kind of curious if this is OK. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New ball joints....... Sounds like fun.

Don't wait too long. If those ball joints separate, there is 100% risk of that wheel flying off your truck.

Just get her done. Lowers are a pain

First side took me a couple hours, the other side, under an hour. They will creak and groan for quite a while before they fail, but will probably contribute to ruined tires long before they separate from the vehicle (The design makes it highly unlikely it will ever actually separate).

Don't waste your money on a ball joint tool-a 3 lb. hammer and a 1/2-3/4" piece of steel do a much better job (that's why the first side took me so long).

Bill

I have all of the required tools, just wondering if some up/down play was normal on this design. On some solid axle designs I understand it's OK. The joints have no side play but do creak/pop.

Going to knock them out in the next month or so, should be a good winter garage project. Need to rebuild the leafs as well.

Back