• Register Today It's free!

Lower Ball Joints?

Roadking

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT SOHC
I just went to get a balance, rotate and alignment done today.
Well, they told me they couldn't do it, because the lower ball joints are bad after 55K?
They quoted me about $390 for a set of Moog lower ball joints and an alignment.
Does that sound about right?
What about the upper ball joints? or isn't there any?

Any tribal knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
RoadKing:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are the normal symptoms of worn ball joints?
I cant believe these are shot.
The mechanic just said you'll be buying front tires every 25K.
Is that the case?

RoadKing

:(

Explorer Friends,

Are Moog parts considered well made replacement parts? I have to let them know in about an hour if I want
the work done.
Does anyone have any input? Good or Bad! Please let me know.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
RoadKing

Get a second opinion! Alot of front end places will tell you you need new ball joints, I've been through it, I had new ball joints, upper and lower on my 92. After a couple thousand miles and some wheeling I took it in to have the front end aligned and the front end place told me I needed new ball joints because there was a lot of play in them(of course there wasn't). After 55k mi I don't think you should need new joints unless its been used hard.

As for price to replace all 4 of my joints it was about $350. Moog are pretty good parts, I have Moog radius arm bushings on my truck and have had no problems since I put them on. They are sold through Carquest parts stores so they are pretty good parts. I don't remember what name my ball joints were , but I got them at Carquest so its possible they are Moog, and they are working just fine, after 2 years and about 70k mi. Mine are greasable joints though and I keep them well greased.

Normal symptoms of ball joints are leaning tires, they do not stand straight up, they usually lean in at the top, also if they are really bad there may be some wobbling, shimmying or vibration in the front at speed. About the tires every 25k, I would say no, if you rotate your tires frequently you should get more than that even with bad ball joints. Anyway this is jusy my experience with ball joints, I have the old TTB front end, not the same as your A arm front end, the TTB front end is extremely hard on ball joints and tires, your A arm front end helped with some of those problems. Well I hope my rambling helps

You can do the lower ball joints yourself. It isn't very hard to do, just put the truck is up on jack stands, take the top C-ring off the upper portion of the ball jiont, then remove the cotter pin from the lower portion of the ball joint and the nut. Now I had the hub assembly off when I changed mine, and disconnected the tie rod from the steering knuckle, but you might want to try and see if you can do it without removing the hub assembly. That would make it even easier to do. You can either knock the ball joint out with a socket and hammer or rent a ball joint puller and pull it out. then, wnat I did was bang the new one back in with a hammer and socket until it was all he way in. The balljoint puller will press it back in if you use that. then put the new C-ring on the top, attach it back to the steering knuckleand tighten it back upand put the new cotter pin on it. Put the tie rod back on and your good to go. The reason I disconnected the tie rod fron the steering knuckle was to be able to move the wheel assembly out enough to get to the lower ball joint.
The upper balljoint is a complete assembly with the upper control arm, at least it's that way on the right hand passengers side, and the whole thing come as a whole assembly. I don't know if there is an aftermarket manufacture of it or not. I got mine from Ford. It was a bit@h to get it off the steering knuckle. Use a BFH and lots of liquid wrench. Pay attention to position you take the original off and put the new one back in the originals spot, then go get you alignment.
Hope this helps.

Back