Gas Mileage for V6 X

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
Any suggestions? I know the airbox mod, but exactly how much does that gain (mpg)? I am getting around 17.8 mpg in city, but I live out in the suburbs so its similar to highway driving. The worst part is the going up the hills, my X does 5mpg uphill (according the computer). And those who've done the airbox mod whats better, cutting a square and using screen or drilling holes?
If you want to post pictures of airbox mod, go ahead, good visual examples.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont even go by my computer anymore,

Completely stock I was averaging about 200-210 miles per tank, with the way I drive. Since the Airbox Mod, and Magnaflow Muffler I had installed. I am now averaging 230-240 miles to every tank. Im getting about 12-13 mpg currently.

I just got the 2.5'' exhaust piping done on my X on thursday, and also just filled the tank as well. so i will report back if I notice any increase in mileage for the tank.

Im not sure what i wouldve gotten before but right now i have a flowmaster dual exhaust, with a 3" lift. just took my ex on a 1600+ mile round trip and averaged about 17.6 mpg, i though that was decent considering i was doing 80 with a 3 inch lift. Around town i seem to get 17 on average, 18-19 if i baby the WHOLE tank of gas! might go on a trip up to MD in about a week. average speed should be around 65-ish so i'll let you know what kinda gas mileage i get goin up there. but id love to see some pics of any airbox mods! have some ideas in mind but i wouldnt mind gettin a few more ideas.

CALDWELL

with your exhaust...did you get 2.5" from the y pipe into the muffler or did you get just get your old muffler cut out and a magnaflow put on? any pics?

Just so you know, i ran my exhaust under the rear axle. for my 05 there is no resonator before the factory muffler, but a major clamp in the exhaust. I deleted the clamp in the exhaust, and ran 2.5'' off the Y-PIPE to the MUFFLER, and 2.5'' under the axle, then exit @ a 45 degree angle...

here is pics of my exhaust through the stages... STOCK to CURRENT...

***** alot of pics so be warned... *****

1. STOCK

Picture012.jpg

Picture013.jpg

2. MUFFLER + TIP

Picture014.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture018.jpg

3. 2.5'' EXHAUST

exhaust2.jpg

exhaust3.jpg

exhaust4.jpg

exhaust5.jpg

I would like to see how you have duals run under your X. i have been wondering how to run duals on an X...

i wont run duals, but just curious to see what the set up looks like...

Diggin the setup there Caldwell! I appreciate all the pics!!! I wasnt sure if we were talking about the same flange on the exhaust or not but looks like we were lol. Def cant wait to get some more $$ to finish my exhaust!! unfortunately it might not be for awhile because leaving for Airforce basic 2 weeks today. Maybe i can get my mom to have it done while im away? :) but yeah i have the 3" bod lift so im going to try and run the pipe up and over the rear end, if it looks like its going to restrict flow quite a bit, i'll just go under the axle. I appreciate all the help man!

I'm getting 20 combined in my xlt 2002 with stock tires and the airbox mod done i also removed the side running boards

STSMOKER,

with a body lift I would not suggest having the exhaust running under the axle. I just dont think that it would look right lol...

I ran mine under only because I dont have any plans to lift my X in the near future. Plus because im still stock offroad wise, i dont do any major wheeling, except for some light trail riding, and when it snows...

finally needed to fill the tank today :thumbsup:

i was averaging about 235 miles per tank with the Airbox Mod, and Magnaflow Muffler, and Mobil 1 Synthetic Motor Oil.

* results are after having the 2.5'' exhaust completed...

well i looked at my trip meter an i actually had confirmed gains :thumbsup:
my trip meter said i had traveled 258 miles, and i did the math. I was averaging 14 mpg up from 12.8 mpg...

again i do all local stop and go driving...

im happy with the gains, and cant wait to see what i can get once the transmission gets flushed with synthetic oil, and see what other little cheap mods i can do...

Good to hear. :) I'll have to get a new exhaust to get some better gas. But like I said I live in the suburbs. Most to all driving I do is a little bit of 30mph and mostly 40-50mph, and some freeway at 65mph-75mph. So my X is averaging 16-20 mpg. With an exhaust it should do better.

Good to hear. :) I'll have to get a new exhaust to get some better gas. But like I said I live in the suburbs. Most to all driving I do is a little bit of 30mph and mostly 40-50mph, and some freeway at 65mph-75mph. So my X is averaging 16-20 mpg. With an exhaust it should do better.

Honestly your right where this truck was designed to be. Not to say you can't improve it a bit though.
I live in the country - all 55mph roads. I average 19-20 in the summer and 16-17 in the winter. I have the airbox mod with a standard paper filter. I have the fluids to change my axles over to synthetic - just need to find a few minutes. I'm also having my trans flushed in the next few weeks - doubt I'll go syn there, could be too rich for my blood. I'll also be ordering a k&n drop in for my airbox. I'd love a new exhaust - we'll see.
The most proven gains on this board seem to be:
1. Exhaust
2. Intake mods
3. Syn fluids
4. Tuner

Honestly your right where this truck was designed to be. Not to say you can't improve it a bit though.
I live in the country - all 55mph roads. I average 19-20 in the summer and 16-17 in the winter. I have the airbox mod with a standard paper filter. I have the fluids to change my axles over to synthetic - just need to find a few minutes. I'm also having my trans flushed in the next few weeks - doubt I'll go syn there, could be too rich for my blood. I'll also be ordering a k&n drop in for my airbox. I'd love a new exhaust - we'll see.
The most proven gains on this board seem to be:
1. Exhaust
2. Intake mods
3. Syn fluids
4. Tuner

True. These trucks are built for highways. My X does fairly good with the speeds I drive at. Not to say it couldn't do better.

Muzzy i agree...

it really is amazing what an Intake + Exhaust combo can do for our X's.

my current goal for my X is to break 16 MPG ( city stop/go traffic )

I think with a tuner, and synthetic trans fluid I could make that happen...

Err, I go %90 freeway and %10 streets. I go 80mph on the freeways.

And um, i get like 12 mpg. I have a ansa exhaust system, and AirBox mod.

This is really interesting. So I will chime to throw in my numbers.

First, I calculate my mileage by setting my trip EVERY tank, and I only fill my tank, and usually take it down to the light before I will, which is usually around 20-21 gallons.

My X, is a 4.0L 2WD with the 3.55 rear. I am a conservative driver, meaning I do not speed, and don't accelerate to stop lights, and I VERY rarely break over 3000rpm, mostly I don't go over 2500 rpm. I can usually see 20mpg in the city, and usually always get around 500 miles to a tank on the highway (between 23-24mpg). I also ALWAYS run premium fuel, and use full synthetic oil.

I am considering a set of headers and up grading the intake. I also would like to remove my roof rack, and if I had the money I'd do a cam. But my goal is 25-26mpg.

I couldn't imagine only getting 250 miles to a tank.

Also, as far as my driving conditions. DAILY I sit in stop and go traffic getting of Camp Lejeune for about an hour. On a tank a all stop and go, I usually get about 400 miles, between 19-20, but average 20. I do a lot of interstate driving, and usually have my cruise set at 71mph.

Err, I go %90 freeway and %10 streets. I go 80mph on the freeways.

And um, i get like 12 mpg. I have a ansa exhaust system, and AirBox mod.

Yeah 80 mph doesn't do so good on the gas mileage. My info center gas mileage says that I do about 15mpg doing 80-90mph. I suppose I get less because driving about 15miles one way I seem to go through a fair amount of gas.

Jager,

do you drive with a lead foot ?

did you reset your battery after doing the airbox mod ?

whats your current tire pressure ?

fluids all good, and clean ?

80mph also doesnt help, considering we drive bricks...

Does the premium fuel make it work it with mpg's vs the extra cost I think it can cost about .20-.30 more a gallon than regular. I was considering switching over to synthetic oil next oil change are there any negatives other than cost. What is the oil change interval then. Which brand do you guys recommend. Doesn't seem like I should make a new thread. Also planned on doing it myself first timer ahaha.

I would say stick to regular (88 octane) (mid-grade out west).
Synthetic Oil should be worth it. I should really use some. get the motorcraft synthetic blend. Its about just as good as any other synthetic oil. For how many miles that is still up to you. Whether you want to go 3K to 5K. I know that for me, I usually go 4k-5k miles even on a synthetic blend. Better to change oil a little too soon, than too late :)
Ignore the 5w 20 I think our X's use 5w-30 (Forgot, what oil :( ) If i'm incorrect on which oil our X's use then please correct me.
3da621e94046387200811e10eb8706f8.jpg

There you go, on the picture it says helps improve fuel economy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks I'm always looking to get the best bang for my buck or increase my trucks abilities. I think the synthetic will be a definite change I'm probably going to stick with regular our east.

Back