Lower Intake gasket ? Steam from Fuel inj. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower Intake gasket ? Steam from Fuel inj.

xoticmike

Reaction score
4.0 SOHC Motor (kinda new.. I replaced it myself)

Guys,

A little history... then the issue.

It was a HOT day and I was driving her pretty hard. The coolant had been boiling out (not sure from where), but I would have to refill it with coolant about twice a day. This went on for about 2 weeks. Then finally it overheated like hell and cut off on me. I let it sit for about 6 months now I am finally trying to weed out this issue.

I can start it fine... It turns over and runs fine for about 15 mins. After that however, the engine starts to steam anti-freeze out of what appears to be the Fuel Injectors... I am getting mixed diagnoses from mechanics... granted I havent taken it anywhere yet, but they all seem to say either Head Gasket or lower intake gasket... I was wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone ?

Thanks in advance,
MikeX :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you create a video or pic of where the leak (steam) is comming from?

It sounds like a lower intake manifold gasket but after driving it hot :fire: it could be worse now.

Its a partial engine teardown probably $600 at a shop if you dont DIY.

Good Luck!

From your description, I agree with Mawrazen..sound like an intake mainfold issue....but you may have caused larger issues by letting it sit for months and by running it so hot that it died on you. How does your oil look? Frothy chocolate milk? If your gasket has failed and coolant has mixed with oil then you need to, at the very least, get that crap out of there. That mixture of oil and coolant can eat up your mains and then you have BIG problems..

You might be lucky and have an outer edge leak or something where coolant is leaking but not mixing with the oil..

Get in there and let us know what it looks like! Good luck:salute:

Coolant can't leak back out of the lower intake manifold gasket... there's nothing there. Some pics or a video of the exact area from which the steam escapes would be helpful. (Doesn't necessarily have to be running) Without seeing it, I'd say head issue, either a gasket, or a cracked head.

On a side-note, don't run an engine if you know it's leaking coolant. That's just dumb.

-Joe

Top Down pic of the upper intake

IMAGE_063.jpg

Closer view of what I think is the fuel injector port

IMAGE_064.jpg

The top pic is to give a little more of a birds eye view to get oriented.. the second pic is all up in there... I am almost positive that that is the fuel injector... But yea it only leaks (steams) out of 1 of the injectors... so I dunno...

It almost appears to be a crack next to the Fuel injector. I would begin the teardown and remove the throttle body to get a closer look.

It could still be a problem with the intake manifold or gasket.

To get deeper to the problem you may also have to remove the valve covers.

Also check the radiator fluid for oil and the oil for coolant.(foam)

Now the fun begins!

Fixed !!

my sitting truck is finally fixed !

Took it to a mechanic and he "fixed the seal" and fixed some other hose he said was loose.... hey for 200 bones.. i think its a steal

thanks for all your help guys... ill keep ya posted on how this beauty is coming.... I am going to hook it up now :D:confused:

Back