Lower valance on XLS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower valance on XLS

I have a 1996 XLS. It has no factory fog lights and has the ugly chrome gille. Is it possible to bolt on the lower valance/air dam (like this one ) that has the opennings for the fog lights? Will it be a "bolt on"? How about adding the factory fog lights as well?

Yes. All that stuff is bolt on. The worst part would be trying to duplicate the factory wiring..it would be much easier to use aftermarket wiring.

Lower valance light conversion?

First off, this could easily be posted in newb section, yet I'm thinking I'll get a better answer from posting here. Also, I did search

Is it possible to actually convert the lower valance bumper / marker lights into having the ability to also serve as fog lights?
My thought would be, if space is even possible, to drill an extra hole into the housing for fog bulbs and then wire them up. Either into the OEM wiring or separately via an aux fuse block with relay and switch.

Anyways, anyone know if this type of conversion is possible?

Look at the lower radiator support where the ABS sensor wires have connectors which attach to the engine bay harness. There are two or three connectors there on both sides of the radiator(left/right). That's where the fog lights connect to the main harness. If you have those connectors on your truck, then you can likely add the fog lights easily(fuse, switch). Good luck,

Back