• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer/Mountaineer

99Mounty

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer
I'm planning on lowering my Mountaineer 1 3/8" using the X-spec lowering kit. Does anyone have the X-spec suspension lowering kit on their Explorer/Mountaineer? If so, how do you like it?

If so, how much did you pay for the kit? Also, did you install it yourself? If so, how long did it take you? Or did you get it professionally installed at a shop? If so, where did you go to get it installed and how much did it cost?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

i don't have the x-spec kit, but i did lower my 98 sport.

i removed my torsion bar adjuster bolts, dropping the front 2 1/2". my 2dr has spacers in the rear that can be moved to lower 1 1/2". i gave up trying to break the nuts on the u-bolt loose and took it to a shop which only charged me $20 labor (they would've charged the same to install actual lowering blocks).

if you want the whole x-spec package, the cheapest way to go would be to lower it yourself (why pay ee for a very expenesive set of instructions?), get an alignment from a competent shop, get the edlebrock ias lowered shocks from autozone or advance auto parts and get the ee x-spec sway bar from ee.

if you use the search function and do a search for "lowering", you should find plenty of posts which discuss how to lower your EX yourself.

Back