• Register Today It's free!

Lowering it 1 3/8"

99Mounty

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer
I'm planning on lowering my Mountaineer 1 3/8" using the X-spec lowering kit. Does anyone have the X-spec suspension lowering kit on their Explorer/Mountaineer? If so, how do you like it?

If so, how much did you pay for the kit? Also, did you install it yourself? If so, how long did it take you? Or did you get it professionally installed at a shop? If so, where did you go to get it installed and how much did it cost?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

installation was a breeze. I had one person helping me which made it go smoother. As long as you are good with basic tools and understand how the kit goes in you wont have a problem. I didnt buy the kit. I just went to autozone and got some 1" blocks for the back and lowered the front about 2". That made it sit pretty level. There are some pics you can look at if you click the link in my sig. If you have any questions this is the place to get them answered.

Al, I don't think camber adjusters are completely necessary. The alignment shop will take care of that.

Originally posted by Hartman
Al, I don't think camber adjusters are completely necessary. The alignment shop will take care of that.

Is this an opinion? or based on your actual experience in lowering an Explorer?

when my truck was lowered the shop that did my alignment supposedly put in camber adjusters that they supplied, and the alignment came out good. the alignment ended up costing me around 140 because of these adjusters.

Why would it be my opinion? Alignment shops do these things called alignments, where they adjust the CAMBER of the vehicle amoung other things. So, lets hope they would have CAMBER ADJUSTERS, wouldn't that make sense?

Not all alignment shops have camber adjusters for Explorers and some do not want to even install ones you provide.

I had to shop all over to ger mine done.

I had to shop all over for a shop to do mine when it was lowered, now that is has mild lift, any shop will do it though. oh well, i'm taking off my BL this weekend ans removing my TT/Shackles. going down to a 275/60 15 on my 15x8's with a 2" drop, untill i can afford some 18's.

hopefully i have made my mind up and my truck won't be lifted again

(FYI, this explorer has been lifted twice and lowered once, this will be the 2nd lowering episode :confused: , i can't keep my mind made up)

Hartman, did you have any problems after you lowered yours?

i don't believe he is lowered yet

lol... I love the Al and Hartman show!

I had the shop take care of the camber and everything. I'm not totally sure they did it right tho. I wanted to take it to a different place but that place was closed because someone died. I'm gonna take it to him when I get around to it for a second opinion. This guy really knows what hes doing.

IMHO, I think the EE lowering kit is good quality stuff but that is one really expensive set of directions they supply.

I'm really not trying to argue with Al, it's just that EE is not the only solution. And Al, FYI, I plan on lowering within the next 2 weeks, so I'll tell ya how it goes. :D

Originally posted by Hartman
I plan on lowering within the next 2 weeks,

How do you plan on dropping? How low? What shocks are you gonna use?

Thanks....

I plan to lower 2 inches, via 2 inch lowering blocks that I picked up at Pep Boys today. Torsion twist up front of course. I have KYB lowered shocks in the mail as well as an EE rear sway bar. I plan on picking up some poly bushings and tie rod ends in the near future.

Hartman, I'm just curious, what KYB lowered shocks are you using? I wasn't aware that KYB made modified shocks for lowerred Explorers. Oh yah, and how much did cost if you dont mind? Thanks.

Back