lowering the front of my 2000 x | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lowering the front of my 2000 x

heyranran

Reaction score
i have already lowered my explorer in the back with a 3 inch block kit and did the torsion twists in the front( as far as possible ) im lookin to get about 1.5 inches lower in the front any suggestions? ill post pics of the truck later. thanks

Be careful as to how low you go. I have a 96 Limited which the previous owners lowered (soon to be punched back up then some) because the woman was about 4' 10" and couldn't lift her kids into the car seats, so her husband had it lowered - it was used as a pre-school taxi, the only vegetation it ever drove over was the front lawn.

A bit of last minute shopping on Christmas Eve saw us at the local shopping centre. When we came out some lovely, considerate, kind soul had used a Stanley knife or something similar and sliced the valve stem in half on one of the front tyres.

It was basically sitting on the rim. When I went to jack it up, it was that low I couldn't get the jack under the front. Fortunately I always carry two jacks. So I started about halfway along the side and kept leap frogging the jacks towards the front until I could get the front up high enough to change the tyre - a real pain. It came down that low even my trolley jack at home would not have been able to get under the front to lift it.

If you are seriously considering lowering your vehicle please check to see if your jack can get under the vehicle when it is down on to the rim in order to lift it or you could find yourself stuck. The jack is one part of the vehicle we always take for granted - until we find out otherwise.

Punctures usually have their own unwritten laws:-
- always at the most inconvenient time
- always when dressed in your best suit
- always in the most inconvenient place
- always when you don't have the right equipment to fix it.

Back