lowest tire pressure? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lowest tire pressure?

Does anybody know what the lowest tire pressure you can run on a 15x8 rim with 33x12.5 tires, not bead lock, and still be safe from running the tire off the rim?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run 10-12 in my 35X12.5 on 15X8s. I ran pretty much the same pressure when I had 33X12.5 on the same rims. If that range scares you, 15 should be fine.

i blew my bead with 15 psi with 31x10.5x15 on the stock 15x7.... but i am kinda special too ;)

Who needs tire pressure??

P4042000.jpg

I agree that 14-15 cold is a good number.

I'm going with Rick on this one.

God I love beadlocks!!!:)

Before I could go down to 7psi with out blowin a bead. Well once in awhile I would but I can live with re-seating tires. Now with my beadlocks I can go down to nothing.(if I wanted to anyways) The lowest I've had them was about 3psi and that was for our snow run.

Rick I get it, we all know that your Ex has everyones crap, you just do not have to rub it in our faces!;)

15 eh? sweet..

Rick is just the man and he has the right to rub it all in our faces. I like it! haha :D

True, without him there probably would be no us!

15 is the lowest I'd go on a 33 if you don't have a way to reseat a bead (i.e. onboard air). I wouldn't want to have to try to do that on the trail with a portable air compressor.

Otherwise I'd suggest trying 10-12

On my 35's I run 10-12 and have yet to loose a bead (knock on wood).

can of starting fluid+cigarette lighter=tire re-seater. there is a trick to doing this right and if you dont know how then dont even try it (reasons should be obvious) but you could do this and air up with small junk/onboard.

I usually run 12lbs. with my 33" BFG Ko's on a 15x8 wheel on a '91 Ho. I've yet to lose a bead at that pressure. I also have an '84 Toyota crawler with 34" swampers on a 15x7 wheel. Forgot the guage and not being used to a bias ply tire we deflated them by "look". Trust me, they dont sink like a radial. They would flex to the rim on every rock and I had the truck at a 45 degree angle at one time with air seeping around the bead, but they never seperated! It was stupid looking with the tire sitting off to one side and the rim pretty much on the rock. Mid-trail we had a guy check the pressure with a digital and it read anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 lbs per tire! I wouldn't reccomend this, dumb luck helped me not lose a tire but I guess it shows there is some room for error.

Anything below 5 psi should be left for snow wheelin. Thats for our rigs atleast. My buddies Yota running on 38" SXs can run a 1 pound air and you wouldn't notice. You got to remember we are a heavy ass SUV. Not a 2500 lb. truck.

James I have seen the trick that you speak of on Discovery channel when they were doing a documentary on the Polar Trucks that were driving accross Iceland. They were running 35s or 38s, I do not remember, but they showed how they got the tire back on the rim with the supplies that you said. It was neeaatt.:rolleyes:

Yea, I saw that documentary too, very cool show.

Back